Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
.Suitable for freezing
35minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and peppers and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
This nutrient helps to control the release of sugar from carbohydrates, which helps maintain steady energy levels and a feeling of fullness.