.Suitable for freezing
40minutes cooking time
- 12 dried apricot halves
- 15g butter
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 175g long grain white rice
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 75g Sun-Maid California raisins
- 40g slivered almonds - toasted
- Handful of fresh coriander and/or parsley to serve
- Cut the apricots into small slivers. Melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, rice, cardamom, salt and pepper, and sautÃ© for about eight minutes or until the rice is toasted.
- Stir in the stock, raisins, almonds and apricots and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the stock is completely absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for five minutes. Fluff with a fork, season well, then serve garnished with fresh herbs.
For a dinner party dish, you’ll be ‘hostess with the mostess’ with Cathryn’s delicious raisin and rice pilaf. This humble dish is a blend of both sweet and savoury flavours with a regal past, once served at banquets for Alexander the Great.