Old School Vanilla Traybake
This vanilla traybake reminds of the school dinners I used to have from many years ago but while the school dinners were pretty revolting the pudding was definitely worth having. This simple vanilla cake is a winner with children and great for a quick snack after school.
This recipe makes approximately 12 squares. You’ll need a 10” x 8” approx. traybake tin
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 medium eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
For the icing
- 350g icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Grease and line your traybake tin or brownie tray with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one by one. Add in the vanilla.
- Finally fold in the flour until well combined.
- Pour the batter into your tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes until well risen or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- Pop the icing sugar in a bowl and add in a spoonful of water at a time until you make a thick icing. Spread over the top of the cake and cover liberally with sprinkles.
- Leave to harden for an hour then chop into squares. Makes approximately 12 squares
This recipe is courtesy of Fay Millar.
About Fay Millar
Fay Millar is the face behind Gingerbread World which runs alongside her bespoke cake business, Brighton Cakes. Each year she and her team make hundreds of cakes. They have created everything from the Brighton i360 and the Harry Potter sorting hat to Paddington Bear and Lionel Richie out of cake. Gingerbread World is the gingerbread arm of Brighton Cakes, founded by Fay in 2013. After a successful career in journalism, Fay turned her attention from a notebook to a wooden spoon and started baking ‘seriously’. She is entirely self-taught, having loved baking with her mother from an early age. Jam tarts as a five-year-old gradually morphed into celebration cakes, sculpted cakes and sugar flowers and eventually a love of gingerbread. Raring2go! is delighted to be working with Fay. For more information please see https://www.gingerbreadworld.co.uk