30minutes cooking time
- 1 block tofu- well pressed
- 50g vegan butter - we used Pure
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (of 15g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, or 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 tsp cornflower
- 1 cup or 240ml plant-based milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp ground flaxseeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- If your bread is a few days old, whizz in the food processor until you have fine breadcrumbs. If not, lightly toast the slices before whizzing. Put the breadcrumbs in a flat-bottomed dish, add the cornflour, salt and pepper and mix together well.
- Stir together the plant-based milk and the flaxseeds in a medium-sized bowl and leave to thicken. After a few minutes you'll have an egg-like consistency which will make the breadcrumb mix stick to the tofu.
- Make the garlic butter by finely chopping or mincing the garlic and add it to the butter. Finely chop the parsley if fresh and add to the butter along with the nutritional yeast. Season with salt and pepper and stir it all together so it's well mixed. This is, incidentally, how we make garlic bread and the mixture also freezes well at this point so don't worry too much if you accidentally' make a double portion.
- Take your well pressed tofu and cut it into ten slices once lengthwise and then width-wise so you have 4 flat slabs of tofu. Score a cross hatch pattern into the top of each slab of tofu.
- Divide the garlic butter equally into 4 and spread it thickly on top of each slab of tofu, smoothing it over evenly. Dip the first steak into the egg' mixture so it is well coated and then roll it carefully in the breadcrumbs. Ensure the tofu is covered evenly and repeat with the remaining 3 steaks. Place the Kiev's on a greased baking tray bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius and cook until golden brown.
- Squeeze lemon juice over each tofu fillet before serving or serve with a lemon wedge on the side.
We've recreated the timeless classic dish of Chicken Kiev here with tofu doing a more than passable impression of a chicken breast. As we know, when tofu is well pressed it absorbs the flavours during cooking and this is the key to this dish.
The creamy garlic butter is absorbed all the way through the tofu during cooking and infuses it with a scrumptious garlicky flavour and the bread crumb topping adds a tasty crunch. Serve your Tofu Kiev with new potatoes and lots of shiny greens such as wilted spinach, broccoli and green beans. Or all 3.
At Tofuture we are transforming Tofu from the tasteless, spongy, last choice vegetarian option into a delicious, healthy and ethical addition to your diet. The recipes, new ideas, and our brand new to the market Tofu Press will add a riot of alternative options to your menu the only problem will be choosing which to try first.
To find out more about Tofuture click the links below
Baked Kale Spiced Crisps
I am always looking for ways to add more veg to our diet
Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
Beans provide one of the best sources of fibre. This nutrient helps to control the release of sugar from carbohydrates, which helps maintain steady energy levels and a feeling of fullness.
Carrot, Beetroot and Harissa Hummus Flatbread
This dish is a rich source of folate, good for the heart...
Sweet Potato Fries
Spicy, so leave the cayenne pepper out if you prefer
What's on this Easter
Are you looking for some fun through the Easter holidays? Maybe you want to go on an Easter Egg Hunt? Meet the Easter Bunny himself or visit somewhere new? Our What's On Guide will help you plan your diary for a packed fortnight local to you or maybe even further afield if you are feeling more adventurous! Click here and localise to get started!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here