Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
35minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and peppers and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
The Vegetarian Society
The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.
Chocolate and Clementine Mousse
Cacao and cocoa powder are rich sources of magnesium
Mattar Pulao (Peas Pilau)
This recipe would make a great main or side dish!
Cheese & apple scones
Savoury scones make a good alternative to the usual sandwich
Baked Kale Spiced Crisps
I am always looking for ways to add more veg to our diet
Naughty but nice Puddings!
Check out our delicious puddings, my favourite is the limoncello trifle, not suitable for the kids, but there are some other scrummy recipes that the whole family can enjoy! Take a look in our pudding section for recipes to make summer BBQ's and eating alfresco all the more tasty! My girls LOVE the chocolate pizza - making it, but mostly eating it!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!