Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
35minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and peppers and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
The Vegetarian Society
The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.
Like most of you, I’ve bought the plain hummus, the coriander flavoured one, the red pepper one, the garlic one … but I have yet to come across a curry hummus so I made it myself.
Butternut Squash Stew with Curly Kale
Kale is a good non-dairy source of calcium, and this dish provides one third of the recommended daily intake of this important nutrient.
Wholewheat Spaghetti with Cherry Tomatoes
This recipe produces a delicious light meal
Hari Hari Gluten Free Beetroot Pancake
Beetroot pancakes are perfect for creating vibrant treats.
Advent Calendar Competition
This year we are bringing back our Advent Calendar Competition on our Facebook page! Each day from 1st - 24th December we will be running a task on the page and picking someone to win a prize bundle. With prizes from Our Little Globe, Stuck on You, Thermapen, Scentco UK, ToucanBox, HamaBeads, Orchard Toys, Pip Ahoy, Gotrovo and more, don't miss it!
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!