Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
35minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and peppers and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
The Vegetarian Society
The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.
Mattar Pulao (Peas Pilau)
This recipe would make a great main or side dish!
Leek, Kale and Herb Omelette with Green Salad
Leek, Kale and Herb Omelette with Green Salad...
Like most of you, I’ve bought the plain hummus, the coriander flavoured one, the red pepper one, the garlic one … but I have yet to come across a curry hummus so I made it myself.
Turk-ish Christmas Strudel
Spare the turkey this Christmas with FRY’S Vegetarian Chicken Strips parceled up in crispy seeded filo pastry with a colourful festive concoction!
Now that we are in autumn everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to celebrate this lovely colourful season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the cooler, fresh air and the crunchy leaves under foot - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.