Mixed Bean Casserole with Sliced Avocado
35minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 medium Avocado, peeled, de-stoned and sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and peppers and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the casserole starts to dry out, add a little water.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lime juice, salt, pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
- Serve in small bowls with slices of avocado.
The Vegetarian Society
The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.
Quinoa & halloumi burgers with corn salsa
I like to use red quinoa to make these substantial burgers for its colour and nutty texture, but any variety will do.
Cajun Quorn with Coriander Rice and Mango Salsa
Quorn provides a good low fat source of protein as well as being a great source of zinc, which helps to maintain a strong immune system.
Peanut chocolate-drizzle cookies
Twice-Baked Potatoes with Leeks and Cheese
Potatoes are a good source of B vitamins and vitamin C
Geronimo Festival is back for 2018 and is bigger and better than ever before with not one, but two events for you to enjoy! Book early for the best prices and then join us for tonnes of fun this Summer! We can't wait!
Eye-boggling events near you
If you are looking for something new and exciting to do this Easter then look no further than than Fantastic for Families...the nation's new listings website for families. Click here for their top picks for creative family outings this Easter!