Cheese & apple scones
25minutes cooking time
- 200g self-raising wholegrain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground linseeds/flaxseeds
- 50g chilled butter, cubed
- 1 apple, with skin, cored and grated
- 90g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 100ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, adding any bran left in the sieve/fine-mesh strainer. Stir in the linseeds/flaxseeds.
- Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the apple and Cheddar. Gradually, stir in the milk using a fork, then bring the dough together with your hands.
- Press out the dough on a lightly floured work surface, about 2.5cm/1in thick. Using a 4.5cm/13/4in cutter, stamp out 8 scones. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with milk. Bake for 20–25 minutes until risen and golden.
Nicola Graimes is an award winning cookery writer and former editor of Vegetarian Living magazine. She has written more than 20 books, including The Top 100 Recipes for a Healthy Lunchbox , The Big Book of Wok, The Big Book of LowCarb Recipes, Veggienomics, The New Vegetarian Kitchen (chosen as one of OFM 's Top 50 Cookbooks of the Year), and the bestselling book The Part-Time Vegetarian for Nourish.
Butternut Squash Stew with Curly Kale
Kale is a good non-dairy source of calcium, and this dish provides one third of the recommended daily intake of this important nutrient.
Cajun Quorn with Coriander Rice and Mango Salsa
Quorn provides a good low fat source of protein as well as being a great source of zinc, which helps to maintain a strong immune system.
Hari Hari Gluten Free Beetroot Pancake
Beetroot pancakes are perfect for creating vibrant treats.
Turk-ish Christmas Strudel
Spare the turkey this Christmas with FRY’S Vegetarian Chicken Strips parceled up in crispy seeded filo pastry with a colourful festive concoction!
Become a member today!
Becoming a member of Raring2go! is quick and simple, and even better - it is FREE! For a couple of minutes of your time signing up you will be rewarded with a national and local newsletter monthly, as well as being eligible to take advantage of our members only discounts and competitions! What more do you need? Sign up today!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!