Christmas Pudding Recipe
You either love it or hate it, but Christmas Pudding is one of those traditions that is well worth the effort ( for those lovers of it!).
225g/8oz golden caster sugar
225g/8oz vegetarian suet
120g/4oz chopped candied peel
120g/4oz plain flour
120g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
60g/2oz flaked almonds
Zest of 1 lemon
5 eggs, beaten
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1 level tsp mixed spice
1 level tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of salt 150ml/5fl oz brandy or rum.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. Stir in the eggs and brandy and mix through well.
- Turn the mix into 4×1 pint or 2×2 pint lightly-greased pudding basins.
- Put a circle of baking parchment and foil over the top of each basin and tie securely with string.
- Make a string handle from one side of the basin to the other so it’s easier to pick the basin out of the pan after cooking.
- Put the basins in a large steamer of boiling water and cover with a lid. Boil for 5-6 hours, topping the boiling water up from time to time if necessary.
- If you don’t have a steamer, put the basins in a large pan on inverted saucers on the base. Pour in boiling water to come a third of the way up the sides of the pudding bowls. Cover and steam as before.
- Change the baking parchment and foil covers for fresh ones and tie up as before. Store in a cool cupboard until Christmas Day.
To serve the pudding on Christmas Day, steam for 2 hours and serve with brandy butter, rum sauce, cream or home-made custard.
For more recipes from Raring2go! Click here!