35minutes cooking time
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g pack tofu - light press, crumbled
- ¾ cup cashew nuts, soaked for 2 hours
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the cashew nuts for a couple of hours. Preheat oven to 180„ƒ (350„‰).
- Gently fry the onions in the oil on a low heat in a large wok until soft. Reserve 4 mushrooms for decoration, chop the rest and add them to the onions along with the garlic. Continue to cook until the mushrooms have softened and reduced. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Drain the cashew nuts, rinse and place in a blender or food processor. Give the nuts a quick whizz before adding any other ingredients to make sure they are finely chopped then add the nutritional yeast, flax seeds, mustard, salt, tamari, olive oil and black pepper. Crumble the tofu into the mixer and add the cooked mushrooms and onions.
- Whizz it all together in a food processor for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is smooth. Stop the machine a few times to scrape down the sides and ensure everything is evenly mixed.
- Roll out the pastry and use a cup (8 - 10 cm) to cut out 24 cases. Place the pastry rounds in a muffin tray and divide the quiche mixture between them, smoothing it out on top. Slice the 4 reserved mushrooms thinly and place a slice on top of each quiche. Spray with a little olive oil spray to crisp them up.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Checking the mushrooms on top don't catch. Leave to cool in the muffin tray before removing. Warning: you may be tempted to eat this batch of deliciousness immediately, you can but they may be a little crumbly. Once cooled, the quiches will have a firmer texture. They can be eaten warm or are delicious cold the next day.
At Tofuture we are transforming Tofu from the tasteless, spongy, last choice vegetarian option into a delicious, healthy and ethical addition to your diet. The recipes, new ideas, and our brand new to the market Tofu Press will add a riot of alternative options to your menu the only problem will be choosing which to try first.
To find out more about Tofuture click the links below