35minutes cooking time
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1€³ root ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1€ stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cups hot water
- salt to taste
- Rinse the rise and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over a medium flame and the cook the onions until softened and only slightly browned.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon and cumin seeds; allow the seeds to change colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 mins or until slightly browned.
- Stir in the peas and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add the rice and stir fry for 20-30 secs.
- Add the water with the salt and bring to boil.
- Seal the pan with foil and cover with the lid and cook on low heat for 25 mins (use a heat diffuser beneath the pan if it is not a non-stick pan).
- Remove from the heat and allow to settle for 5 mins before serving.
Shermin A Ali
Founder & owner of Najma's, Shermin A Ali launched her catering business in the summer of 2012. Catering mainly in artisan markets and making select home deliveries, after just a year of trading Najma's was âHighly Commended' by the Time & Leisure Food & Drink Awards in 2013. That same year Shermin also opened her home kitchen to teach Indian Cookery. Classes were extremely well received and Shermin has since continued running her small independent Cookery School from her home in South West London and has also taken her classes and workshops to local school and libraries.
Najma's bespoke catering services forms the very core of the business and as a fully qualified Yoga Teacher, Shermin's most recent venture has been the launch of her Yoga Party where she brings together her Hatha Yoga teaching with the best of Najma's buffet catering.