15minutes cooking time
- 1 large white potato (about 440 g/15 oz)
- 40g / 1½oz dried or Panko breadcrumbs
- 50g / 2oz carrot, grated
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 50g / 2oz brown mushrooms, chopped
- 40g / 1½oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Prick the potato and bake it in the microwave for 7-10 minutes until soft. Leave to cool, then cut it in half and scoop out the flesh - you will need 250 g/9 oz potato.
- Put the cool potato and remaining ingredients (except the flour and the oil) in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until chopped. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper (if using) and shape it into 15 equal-sized balls.
- Place the flour in a bowl and lightly coat the balls in flour. Transfer them to plate and chill for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Fry the balls for about 2 minutes until golden all over and heated through. Serve with cucumber sticks and halved cherry tomatoes, or a mayonnaise dip with sweet chilli sauce.
These little balls are a fantastic way to pack in veggies and are ideal finger food. They are also ideal for batch-cooking and freezing, in readiness for those busy days. Just pop them in a plastic freezer box, separating each layer with greaseproof paper, and reheat from frozen in the oven or microwave.
Annabel Karmel Baby-Led Weaning Recipe Book
Whether you're about to wean and thinking of exploring the baby-led weaning approach, or simply looking for new baby-friendly finger foods and family meals to liven up your mealtimes, Annabel Karmel's new Baby-Led Weaning Recipe Book (RRP: £14.99) is out now and filled with 120 quick, easy and nutritious recipes, essential advice and tips to let your baby take the lead.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.