Steak & Mushroom Pie
- Makes 6 Portions
- Suitable for freezing
- Preparation 30 minutes
- 2hrs 40 minutes cooking time
- 150 C°, 300 F°, Gas Mark 2
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1kg Steak ((chuck or blade) cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 Onion(s) (thickly sliced )
- 2 tbsp Plain white flour
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 570ml Beef stock
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 8 Mushrooms (large, Quartered)
- 450g Shortcrust pastry (or alternatively make your own, Using our recipe
- Heat the oven to 150°C, (fan 130°C, gas mark 2).
- Heat two tablespoons oil in a frying pan and add the meat in batches, until browned on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan as it browns and put into a large casserole or baking dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes, until the edges are beginining to brown. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Stir the flour into the frying pan, scraping up any residue from the pan. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock, stirring all the time, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Season to taste and then pour into the casserole dish.
- Add the mushrooms to the dish and cook in the oven for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Place the meat in a pie dish and leave to cool. Heat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C, gas mark 7).
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut out a circle large enough for your pie dish.
- Dampen the pastry and place on top of the pie dish and seal carefully. Flute the edges by pinching with your finger and thumb.
- Bake the pies for40-50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is piping hot
This steak and mushroom pies recipe is perfect for a winter’s evening meal. You can make your own shortcrust pastry by following our simple recipe. The key thing for getting the pie filling right is to make sure you cook the meat in batches so that the temperature in the pan stays high and the meat is browned nicely.
This recipe is courtesy of BakingMad.com-https://www.bakingmad.com