.Suitable for freezing
50minutes cooking time
.180 C°, 350 F°, Gas Mark 4
- 4 eggs
- 300ml (1/2 pint) vegetable oil
- 350g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 450g carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g chopped toasted pumpkin seeds or pecans (optional)
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 (200g) tub cream cheese, softened
- 450g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g chopped toasted pumpkin seeds
- carrot peelings to decorate
You cannot beat this classic carrot cake recipe. This was handed down by my mum, and is a failsafe recipe that can survive freezing, making into a loaf, muffins or a huge three tier number. This recipe makes enough for two layers.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 9inch/ 23cm cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, caster sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Mix in flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and fold in pecans or pumpkin seeds if using. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in cake tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make topping: a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.. Spread over the top of cake when it has cooled. Decorate with toasted seeds or pecans and carrot peelings. TIP: To avoid lumps in the icing, make sure the butter and cheese are very soft.
Suitable for freezing uniced