Apple and Almond Cake
80minutes cooking time
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 squeezes lemon juice
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 125g ground almonds
- 50g self raising flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Slice two of the quarters very thinly, toss with a squeeze of lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice the remaining apple quarters more thickly and cut the slices in half, place in a bowl, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a tablespoon of the sugar, then toss to coat.
- Set aside for ten minutes while you prepare the cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2 and butter a 20cm springform cake tin with a removable base.
- Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks, then incorporate the ground almonds, almond extract and the baking powder, working the mixture as little as possible.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stiffly whisk the egg whites in another bowl and fold into the cake mixture.
- Add any juice from the thickly sliced apples, then drain the slices thoroughly on the kitchen paper and gently fold into the mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Drain the finely sliced apples and arrange on top of the cake.
- Bake for roughly one hour 20 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake, and leave to cool in the tin for several hours before transferring to a wire rack and dusting with icing sugar.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Annabel’s tasty ingredient combinations are packed full of flavour and bursting with those all-important nutrients to put a spring in your family’s step.
The Easter break is a lovely opportunity to cook with your child. These are my favourite Ginger Cookies and they only take a few minutes to prepare.
These little balls are a fantastic way to pack in veggies
Chocolate Christmas Trees
Leading children’s cookery author and food expert Annabel Karmel shares some of her favourite Christmas creations with Raring2go! – do dig out those aprons and cook up some festive spirit in your kitchen.
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!