Apple and Almond Cake
80minutes cooking time
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 squeezes lemon juice
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 125g ground almonds
- 50g self raising flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Slice two of the quarters very thinly, toss with a squeeze of lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice the remaining apple quarters more thickly and cut the slices in half, place in a bowl, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a tablespoon of the sugar, then toss to coat.
- Set aside for ten minutes while you prepare the cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2 and butter a 20cm springform cake tin with a removable base.
- Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks, then incorporate the ground almonds, almond extract and the baking powder, working the mixture as little as possible.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stiffly whisk the egg whites in another bowl and fold into the cake mixture.
- Add any juice from the thickly sliced apples, then drain the slices thoroughly on the kitchen paper and gently fold into the mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface. Drain the finely sliced apples and arrange on top of the cake.
- Bake for roughly one hour 20 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake, and leave to cool in the tin for several hours before transferring to a wire rack and dusting with icing sugar.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Chicken with Summer Vegetables Recipe
Annabel's Classic Chicken with Summer Vegetables...
Cheesy Cottage Pie
Another delicious recipe from Annabel Karmel, perfect for the whole family!
A gorgeous Light and fluffy summer pudding
Yummy Salmon and Rice Salad
A lovely summery, fish dish perfect for picnics...
Most children love to help in the kitchen, whether it is preparing a whole meal or baking some tasty treats. We have lots of yummy recipes that the children can help with, and that the whole family can then enjoy eating. Click here to take a look at our recipe section for mealtime inspiration and cheeky goodies to try with the family this summer!!!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here