Celebrating Apollo’s 50th Anniversary
On the 20th 2019 NASA will be celebrating 50 years since the Eagle Lander touched down on the moon. Below we have compiled a list of venues in the UK that you can take your children to to find out more about space.
- Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon.
- Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin (19 minutes after Neil Armstrong), both American, landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969
- The men spent 21 ½ hours on the moon collecting lunar material to bring back to Earth
- Neil Armstrong carried a piece of wood from the Wright Brothers plane with him
They left pictures of humans and voice recordings on the moon
To celebrate get the children out to visit a local space exhibition…
- The Science Museum, London - Apollo 11 First Steps
- Thinktank Planetarium, Birmingham Science Museum - Destination Space Moon Show and Destination Space the Moon
- Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, Macclesfield - Moon Landing 50th
- National Space Centre, Leicester - Apollo 10 the team who got us to the moon
- Glasgow Science Centre
- Star Centre, Keighley, West Yorkshire - Imax Apollo 11 First Steps
- Winchester Science Centre - Destination Space Apollo
- We The Curious, Bristol - Apollo 11 Campervan returns to Milennium Square
- Dark Sky Discovery - Dark Sky Discovery Sites
- Techniquest, Cardiff
- The Observatory Science Centre, Hailsham - Moon Landing Anniversary
- Southend Planetarium, Southend on Sea
- Liverpool Planetarium, World Museum - Planetarium
- Royal Observatory - Moon Exhibition
- Island Planetarium - From Earth to the Universe
- Spaceport Wirral
- Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire - Sir Isaac Newtons home, a National Trust venue. Global Rocket Launch and Space Race Rocket Workshops
- Life Science Centre, Newcastle Upon Tyne - Museum of the Moon
- The Spaceguard Centre, Knighton, Powys - Space Guard Centre
- New Scientist Live 10-13 oct 2019 - Line Up Space scientist Maggie Aderin-Pocock on the past, present and future of the moon
- Moon Festival - Moon Festival for the parents
The Fireworks Code-Poster
Print of our Fireworks Code poster to keep your children safe this November!
What is Burns Night - 25th January
What is burns Night and why is it celebrated? Find out right here...
Santa's Grottos across the Midlands
Santa can be spotted all over the Midlands! Take a look at these Santa's Grottos for 2019:
Shakespeare Week 2020 - Portrait Competition
CBBC’s Art Ninja launches Shakespeare Portrait Competition to boost creativity in the classroom
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!
Now that we are in winter everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to enjoy the festive season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the world around you - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle!