Ways to Save in 2017!
Great ways toSave in 2017
The New Year can be an expensive time of year, but there are savings to be made if you hunt around. We’ve gathered together a few tips to help the pennies go further for your family.
1) 2 for 1 Did you know, you qualify for 2 for 1vouchers to attractions, museums and restaurants when you travel by National Rail. Participating attractions include Cadbury World, Thinktank, the Black Country Museum, Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Warwick Castle and Birmingham Sea Life Centre. Buy a National Rail ticket, register with Days Out Guide (www.daysoutguide.co.uk) and print the vouchers. You need to print a voucher AND have a valid rail ticket with the closest station to the attraction as the final destination, bought from National Rail on the same day.
2) Freebies Look out for places that offer free admission. We're very lucky to have lots of great, family friendly museums on our doorstep – and what’s more, they are free to enter. Bantock House, Wolverhampton Art Gallery, Bilston Craft Gallery, Walsall Art Gallery, Red House Glass Cone, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham Library and RAF Cosford all offer free entry. They often run free workshops and free themed trails too! During each school holiday, Arley Arboretum run a Kids Go Free promotion too.
3) Unlimited Returns BCLM UnChained pass gives visitors unlimited access to the 26 acre open-air museum for the same cost as a day ticket, meaning you can experience the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of 300 years of Black Country history again and again within a 12 month period. The same applies to the Ironbridge Museums. Enjoy 12 months of incredible family fun, with unlimited daytime visits to all 10 award winning museums. Fill your year with laughter; rocket yourself back to the age of steam at Blists Hill Victorian Town and even move a locomotive by hand at Enginuity! Annual Passport Tickets offer unlimited daytime admission to all 10 Ironbridge Gorge Museums, so you can return as often as you like for one year. If after 12 months you have still not visited particular sites, you can pop back at any time in the future to make one free visit to the sites that you’ve missed. (T&Cs apply.)
4) Discounts & Vouchers There’s lots of special offers featured in the adverts in our magazines. Our Raring2go! website also has lots of special offers which are updated all the time. If you sign-up to become a member (it’s free! click here for more details) you can download vouchers to lots of local and national attractions. Get into the habit of doing an online search before you visit an attraction to look for any special offers.
5) Try before you buy! If you are looking to find a new hobby or tuition for your child look out for trial lessons on clubs and classes. It can save you money as you don’t need to pay for a full course, if your child decides it’s not for them.
6) Book in Advance There are savings to be made if you plan ahead. If you know which day you’d like to visit an attraction you can often save money by booking online. You can save money if you buy online with West Midlands Safari Park and you also get a free return visit included in the price; book at least five days in advance of travel at Severn Valley Railway to get cheaper tickets; savings can also be made if you book in advance online at Hatton Adventure World and booking online in advance at Merlin attractions such as the Sea Life Centre in Birmingham, Warwick Castle and Alton Towers could save you up to 30%.
7) Annual Pass The Annual Family Pass (£195) for the Severn Valley Railway enables you to ride the railway as many times as you like in the 12 month period (it includes 2 adults and up to 4 children – or 2 children and 2 dogs!) It also gets you free entry to The Engine House Visitor Centre, packed with interactive exhibits, restaurant and outdoor play area. The Merlin Annual Pass will get you admission into 32 different attractions up and down the country. There are things to do for children of all ages – from theme parks, like Alton Towers, to historical attractions like Warwick Castle and the Sea Life Centres. Look out for the January Sale! English Heritage and the National Trust also offer annual memberships, which then allow free entry into hundreds of historic and special places across the country.
Here’s more ways to Save in 2017:
Jungle Boogie Soft Play Area, Codsall. Under one’s are admitted free. If you have children aged 1-5 you can visit Jungle Boogie during Toddler Time (Mon- Fri 9.30-3pm, term times only) for £3.50 per child (instead of the standard entry price of £4.25) and price includes play, squash and biscuits and a hot drink for you! 01902 843191.
Rays Farm. One child can enter free with a full paying adult with Raring2go! voucher. Click here to download.
Genie Tutors, Wolverhampton. You can try before you buy at Genie Tutors Wolverhampton, which offers a free one hour trial and assessment. 01902 504 444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
AJS Dance. Pupils who take lessons on a Saturday can PAY AS YOU GO, not by the term so you don't end up paying if you are ill or at a wedding etc. AJS Dance also offers second hand shoes to buy or swop as kids grow out of them so quickly! 07834 163746 or email email@example.com
Jo Jingles. Jo Jingles provide fun, interactive music and movement classes for children aged from 3 months. Come and take advantage of our special offers: a free trial, or 3 classes for £10 (instead of £15). Plus, the first 4 baby classes are free!* (*All customers have to pay a termly £3 admin fee). 01902 570330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lucy Evans Academy of Dance. Book a trial class in ballet, modern, tap, Melody Bear Movement, musical theatre, adult ballet fitness or Pilates and pay half price – trial spaces are limited so ring Lucy Harper on 07896 770084 for details or email email@example.com
First Class Learning, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton. First Class Learning runs classes in Maths and English and offers a free trial lesson. Ring or text 07974 248723 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore Learning, Wolverhampton.Explore Learning offers a free trial lesson. Call 01483 447414 to book.
3Rs Tuition, Wolverhampton. Professional tutoring in English, Maths and V/NV Reasoning. 3Rs Tuition offers a free assessment. Call 07785 988108.
South Staffordshire Swimming Academy. Classes from 18 months old to adults. You get free public swimming if you pay by direct debit. Call your local South Staffordshire Leisure Centre for details.
Bobby Bears, Wombourne. The magical bear making workshop where dreams and stuffed animals are made is running a special offer of a 16” stuffed bear package for only £20 and an 8” stuffed bear package for only £15. It includes a wishing heart, costume, adoption certificate, carry home box or bag. Call 01902 219810.
Waterbabies. Babies love being in water – as you’ll see from the excited smiles and gurgles around the pool. And swimming from birth is entirely natural. After all, they’ve just spent nine months in the womb! The multi-award winning Water Babies course teaches using voice commands. Free taster sessions are available, subject to availability, at a number of our venues each term for babies up to a year old. Taster sessions are available for over 1’s on request. For more information, please phone Heidi on 01694 731401, email Wibblewobble@waterbabies.co.uk or visit www.waterbabies.co.uk.
Seesaws Day Nursery, Penn and Merridale, Wolverhampton. Offers Nursery Education Grants for 2-3 and 3-5 year olds for free 15 hours a week, limited availability. It is open 52 weeks of the year but you only pay for 50 weeks. NHS discounts are available.01902 341676 (Penn) 01902 656 185 (Merridale)
Crafty Kids Café, Penn, Wolverhampton. Jessica Dean owner of Crafty Kids Café has come up with ideas to keep costs down. Parties - opt for a craft party to avoid the need to cost in party bag gifts – the guests get to create and then take home their work of art. Our parties start at £10 per head and include bag, cake napkins, music, party host, games, bubble machine plus many optional extras to make your party stress free and lots of fun. Grandparent Day – Tuesday is Grandparent Day at Crafty Kids! We offer a lunchtime meal deal of £6 for a hot drink, sandwich and cake for all grandparents between 9-3. Craft Club – Runs Thurs 1-2 and Fri 11-12 – held by our in house craft expert, enjoy weekly activities. Term time sessions cost £5 per session, or £18 for 4 weeks. Book in advance to save. Parents can also enjoy a £3.50 drink/cake meal deal too during these sessions. 07528 403158.
Little Kickers. Little Kickers offers fun football training in Wolverhampton and Bridgnorth for children aged 2-7 years. Book on for a trial session and play before you pay. Call Jo on 07736074596.
NOTE: The information in this article was correct at January 1 2017 but please do check with the venue for the latest information and prices as this is just a guide. Terms and conditions apply to offers and promotions - please check with the venue.
If you do visit these venues or providers please mention you saw in it Raring2go! It helps us bring you more information like this. Thanks!
Jo Messinger is Editor of the Wolverhampton & South Staffordshire Edition of Raring2go! A wife and mum to two lively boys who love living life to the full - just how it should be!
Wild Zoological Park
Wild Zoological Park. Read our updated feature and reviews from our young Raring2go! reporters...
Stargazing with your Kids
Stay up late with the kids in the warm summer nights to gaze up at the stars. Learn what to look for
Avon Tyrrell, UK Youth Outdoor Activity Centre
Have the ultimate outdoor adventure at Avon Tyrrell with a calender packed with events.
A Guide to your Local Parks
Sometimes just trying out a new park is entertainment enough to keep the children happy!
hosting a Haunted House Party
Raise money for the British Heart Foundation whilst having a fang-tastic time! Entertain your guest by playing ghostly games and dancing to mysterious music. Why not wow your guests with these healthy and tasty spooky snacks? If you would like to do some freaky face paints then watch these step by step video tutorials. Fri 27th-31st Oct
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!