Top ten tips on settling your child into nursery
1. FIND A NURSERY THAT SUITS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. With so many lovely nurseries available do your research and find one that's right for you. Are the staff friendly and warm towards the children? Do the children look happy and settled? Did you like the atmosphere? Visit as many as you can and trust your instinct.
2. POSITIVE ATTITUDE! However apprehensive you may feel about leaving your little one for the first time always think of nursery as an exciting experience so your toddler or baby can pick up on your positive vibes and feel happy about starting from the outset.
3. HAVE A TRIAL RUN. Any good nursery will of course let your child have a practice day. Hopefully they will find a natural connection with the qualified staff and enjoy the exciting activities that will be on offer.
4. TALK TO THE STAFF. Before your child starts, make sure the nursery is up to speed on what he/she likes, doesn't like and what his/her normal routine is. Any good nursery will do their best to make sure the day is as normal as possible to help them settle into their new environment smoothly.
5. KEEP SMILING! When it's time to leave them do it with a smile. If they trust you're happy they'll be happy too. They'll be fine!
6. BREAK THEM IN GENTLY. Try starting with a short stay and then gradually build it up.
7. MAKE DRESSING EASY. Clothes that are simple to handle give your child confidence to do it themselves' and feel independent - Velcro shoes, easy to zip coats etc all help.
8. DO ALLOW A COMFORTER. A favourite teddy or blanket can make the nursery feel home from home and is always there if they want a cuddle with a familiar smell!
9. MAKE NEW FRIENDS. Starting a new nursery can be good for Mum too. It's a great opportunity to meet new local families. To help your little one make new friends invite favourite buddies over for a play or tea - it's amazing how quickly life-long friends are made!
10. ENJOY THE RELATIONSHIP. See nursery as part of your extended family, helping to make day to day living happier and easier for everyone involved!
Penny Shevyn is manager of Birchfield Prepcare Day Nursery, near Wolverhampton. With more than 20 years' experience and with two children of her own, Penny knows just how important it is to help your young child settle happily into what can be a whole new world for them.
Instant Ice Cream
This delicious science recipe will give you ice cream in under 10 minutes!
5 Steps to Achieve Engagement Fusion
Educators know that students experience a higher level of success when parents are engaged
Prayer Flags and Big Smiles
In April 2019, I ventured to Nepal to see the work of the charity, Classrooms in the Clouds.
Our Back to School 'Must Haves'
Our selection of 'Back to School' Essentials, perfect for organising the shopping list!
We build holidays around you. Not us. And with over 175 parcs in wonderful locations throughout Europe, we're sure we've got the perfect place for you.
Wherever your're headed, you'll find the possibilities are endless! So why not make the most of our flexible travel dates and find the perfect holiday for your family?
What's more, you can save £££!
Now that we are in autumn everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to celebrate this lovely colourful season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the cooler, fresh air and the crunchy leaves under foot - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle