Top ten tips on settling your child into nursery
1. FIND A NURSERY THAT SUITS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. With so many lovely nurseries available do your research and find one that's right for you. Are the staff friendly and warm towards the children? Do the children look happy and settled? Did you like the atmosphere? Visit as many as you can and trust your instinct.
2. POSITIVE ATTITUDE! However apprehensive you may feel about leaving your little one for the first time always think of nursery as an exciting experience so your toddler or baby can pick up on your positive vibes and feel happy about starting from the outset.
3. HAVE A TRIAL RUN. Any good nursery will of course let your child have a practice day. Hopefully they will find a natural connection with the qualified staff and enjoy the exciting activities that will be on offer.
4. TALK TO THE STAFF. Before your child starts, make sure the nursery is up to speed on what he/she likes, doesn't like and what his/her normal routine is. Any good nursery will do their best to make sure the day is as normal as possible to help them settle into their new environment smoothly.
5. KEEP SMILING! When it's time to leave them do it with a smile. If they trust you're happy they'll be happy too. They'll be fine!
6. BREAK THEM IN GENTLY. Try starting with a short stay and then gradually build it up.
7. MAKE DRESSING EASY. Clothes that are simple to handle give your child confidence to do it themselves' and feel independent - Velcro shoes, easy to zip coats etc all help.
8. DO ALLOW A COMFORTER. A favourite teddy or blanket can make the nursery feel home from home and is always there if they want a cuddle with a familiar smell!
9. MAKE NEW FRIENDS. Starting a new nursery can be good for Mum too. It's a great opportunity to meet new local families. To help your little one make new friends invite favourite buddies over for a play or tea - it's amazing how quickly life-long friends are made!
10. ENJOY THE RELATIONSHIP. See nursery as part of your extended family, helping to make day to day living happier and easier for everyone involved!
Penny Shevyn is manager of Birchfield Prepcare Day Nursery, near Wolverhampton. With more than 20 years' experience and with two children of her own, Penny knows just how important it is to help your young child settle happily into what can be a whole new world for them.
The Pros and Cons of Homework
The purpose of homework is to bridge the gap between children’s learning at school and at home, but just how relevant is it to the modern generation?
Finding childcare for children with special needs
A recent survey by the Family and Childcare Trust revealed that only 15 per cent of councils in England have enough childcare for disabled children...
Education Support by Explore Learning
Visit "Education Support by Explore" for the information you need to support your child's education
An exciting new role play game for a mini teacher-to-be
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!