Helping children to succeed at secondary school
September brings with it a new class or even a move to a different school for your child. For some, this is a very exciting time; at Explore Learning we hear our students chatting away about moving to ‘big school’ and planning trips to buy new uniforms and stationery. For others, you can see they are a little more anxious. Even those that are very confident ask questions about what it will be like when they move schools. How will they be able to tackle the new, harder work? It’s important to talk to children about what they are excited about as well as what they are concerned about. Let them know that it is OK to be worried about change, but it’s also good to take on a new challenge and confront their fears by trying new things.
We’ve put together some top tips for the new school year.
- Talk to families who already go your child’s new school and arrange a visit if you’ve not already been. You may find the school is the perfect place for your child. You can put your child’s name on the waiting list for the school you want to go to. This is no guarantee, but not everyone takes up the place they have been offered so you may get a place through the waiting list
- It’s really important to remember that if you don’t get your first choice of school, there will be other options. Keep an open mind - and try not to show any concerns you have about a school to your child.
- Moving schools or class can result in your child missing their friends. Ask them questions about new people they have met to encourage them to make new friends. Arrange to meet up with their old class mates outside of school so they can still see them.
- Their new teacher will have had information about your child from their previous teacher, however if there is something you feel is important that the teacher knows about your child, do drop them a letter/e-mail or ask for a quick chat.
- Keep them organised! Get your child to check their timetable each night and pack everything they need for the next day - one less thing for them to worry about.
Voted number one private tuition centre in the UK with over 145 award-winning maths and English tuition centres nationwide.
Get in touch today by calling 033 0124 3806 to discuss your child’s educational needs and try us for free!
Since 2001 our award-winning maths and English tuition has supported over 200,000 children aged four to 14 excel academically, reach their potential and achieve the best possible results. But more than that, we are unwavering in our mission to develop a generation of Fearless Learners.
Getting the most out of parent's evenings
We’ve teamed up with Explore Learning to bring you top tips to get the most out of parents’ evening.
Creating confident children in 7 steps
Confidence is vital as it impacts everything from their friendships to their attitude to learning.
Supporting your children through exam season
To help you have stress-free exam period we've answered some of the common questions parents ask
Understanding Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning
Success in both these papers are crucial to passing the 11plus exam - so we’re here to help!
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Since 2001, Explore Learning have helped over 200,000 children to excel academically, reach their potential and achieve the best possible results.
Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.