Brilliant butternut squash bowls
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, washed
- 0.5kg fresh tomatoes
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- Roast the squash and sweet potatoes in the oven for around 45 minutes.
- In a large pot gently fry the onions in a little oil until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh from the potatoes into the soup, add the roasted squash, and then blitz with a food processor or blending stick.
- Season to taste and adjust consistency by adding more liquid to suit.
- Serve with natural yoghurt or finely chopped basil.
Enjoy this tasty and nutritious meal made from surplus squash that provides you with 437% of your recommended vitamin A, 52% of vitamin c and 10% or more of vitamin E & B
We save food and we change lives
FareShare saves good food destined for waste and sends it to over 6,700 charities and community groups who transform it into nutritious meals for vulnerable children and adults. The food we redistribute is fresh, quality and in date surplus from the food industry and the organisations we work with can be found all across the UK. These include breakfast and afterschool clubs for children in deprived areas. If you know of a school or nursery in need of free surplus food, please direct them to: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/fareshare-foodcloud/
Alternativley if you would like to volunteer at one of our regional centres to pick, pack and sort the food, visit: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/volunteering/
Other ways to get involved can be found here: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/get-involved/
Potato and Carrot Smoothie
Carrot, Potato and Kale Smoothie With Crispy Pancetta
Perfect for those cold winter days and to hide veggies!
Beetroot, Red Onion and Courgette Soup
Kilted Chef Craig Wilson from Eat on the Green shares
Back To Our Roots Vegetable Broth
From Kilted Chef Craig Wilson from Eat on the Green
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!
Now that we are in winter everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to enjoy the festive season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the world around you - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle!