Homemade Strawberry Jam
30minutes cooking time
- 3lb strawberries, hulled, washed and dried.
- Juice of one large lemon
- Pectin (Certo)
- 3lb granulated sugar.
- Place strawberries & lemon juice in a pan, simmer for 10 mins until juices have run.
- Mash the strawberries with a potato masher and simmer for 5 minutes until fruit has formed thick puree.
- Remove from heat
- Add pectin as directed on bottle.
- Add sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Bring to boil for 5 mins.
- Remove any surface scum that has formed.
- Using a tea spoon, take a portion of jam and pour onto a small plate. If the jam sets, it is ready. If jam is still runny, boil for a few more minutes and test again.
- Do not allow jam to cool. Immediately pour or ladle jam into sterilised jam jars. To prevent jars from cracking its best to pre-heat jars. Seal and cover the jars while still warm.
- Make your own labels with type of jam and date made (optional)
A little bit of homemade strawberry jam made from surplus fruit to go on top of a freshly made scone or anything you want the jam on. Life is just sweet and simple.
We save food and we change lives
FareShare saves good food destined for waste and sends it to over 6,700 charities and community groups who transform it into nutritious meals for vulnerable children and adults. The food we redistribute is fresh, quality and in date surplus from the food industry and the organisations we work with can be found all across the UK. These include breakfast and afterschool clubs for children in deprived areas. If you know of a school or nursery in need of free surplus food, please direct them to: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/fareshare-foodcloud/
Alternativley if you would like to volunteer at one of our regional centres to pick, pack and sort the food, visit: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/volunteering/
Other ways to get involved can be found here: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/get-involved/
Mrs Bagshaws Wartime Treacle Cake
Delicious anytime of the year but great for autumn and bonfire night
Try these tasty breakfast scones to liven up your morning!
Plum and Blackcurrant Muffins
A perfect bake for Autumn!
Send your children to school with a Valentine's treat to brighten up their day!
Advent Calendar Competition
This year we are bringing back our Advent Calendar Competition on our Facebook page! Each day from 1st - 24th December we will be running a task on the page and picking someone to win a prize bundle. With prizes from Our Little Globe, Stuck on You, Thermapen, Scentco UK, ToucanBox, HamaBeads, Orchard Toys, Pip Ahoy, Gotrovo and more, don't miss it!
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!