Homemade Strawberry Jam
30minutes cooking time
- 3lb strawberries, hulled, washed and dried.
- Juice of one large lemon
- Pectin (Certo)
- 3lb granulated sugar.
- Place strawberries & lemon juice in a pan, simmer for 10 mins until juices have run.
- Mash the strawberries with a potato masher and simmer for 5 minutes until fruit has formed thick puree.
- Remove from heat
- Add pectin as directed on bottle.
- Add sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Bring to boil for 5 mins.
- Remove any surface scum that has formed.
- Using a tea spoon, take a portion of jam and pour onto a small plate. If the jam sets, it is ready. If jam is still runny, boil for a few more minutes and test again.
- Do not allow jam to cool. Immediately pour or ladle jam into sterilised jam jars. To prevent jars from cracking its best to pre-heat jars. Seal and cover the jars while still warm.
- Make your own labels with type of jam and date made (optional)
A little bit of homemade strawberry jam made from surplus fruit to go on top of a freshly made scone or anything you want the jam on. Life is just sweet and simple.
We save food and we change lives
FareShare saves good food destined for waste and sends it to over 6,700 charities and community groups who transform it into nutritious meals for vulnerable children and adults. The food we redistribute is fresh, quality and in date surplus from the food industry and the organisations we work with can be found all across the UK. These include breakfast and afterschool clubs for children in deprived areas. If you know of a school or nursery in need of free surplus food, please direct them to: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/fareshare-foodcloud/
Alternativley if you would like to volunteer at one of our regional centres to pick, pack and sort the food, visit: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/volunteering/
Other ways to get involved can be found here: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/get-involved/
Mrs Bagshaws Wartime Treacle Cake
Delicious anytime of the year but great for autumn and bonfire night
Try these delicious nutella cupcakes - easy for the kids to make too!
Chocolate Fudge Cakes
Moist, gooey, delicious tray bake
Send your children to school with a Valentine's treat to brighten up their day!
Become a member today!
Becoming a member of Raring2go! is quick and simple, and even better - it is FREE! For a couple of minutes of your time signing up you will be rewarded with a national and local newsletter monthly, as well as being eligible to take advantage of our members only discounts and competitions! What more do you need? Sign up today!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!