The National Trust property of Corfe Castle
A thousand-year-old royal castle shaped by warfare. Enjoy one of Britain's most iconic and evocative survivors of the English Civil War, partially demolished in 1646 by the Parliamentarians.
A favourite haunt for adults and children alike, you can't fail to be captivated by these romantic castle ruins with breath-taking views across Purbeck.
Discover 1,000 years of our history as a royal palace and fortress. With fallen walls and secret places, there are tales of treachery and treason around every corner.
Spot the 'murder holes' and count the arrow loops. Feel history come to life and see the wildlife that has set up home here.
Corfe Castle is yours to explore every day. Plus, there are events and activities all year round to help you make the most of your visit. Here are our top ten favourite things to see and do.
- Go on a castle quest, spot all the shields and facts, then claim your prize.
- Take in the views.
- Try on medieval costumes, become a knight in shining armour or a medieval princess. Look out for the tents in the outer bailey where you can select your costume.
- Explore the wildlife walk and play trail, into the woods and over the river.
- Enjoy a picnic,
- Roll down the banks of our really steep hill, a tradition for generations of families.
- Look out for the ravens. Legend has it that if they ever leave the castle, something terrible will happen!
- Defend the castle. Imagine yourself as a medieval archer behind one of the arrow loops.
- Have a Famous Five adventure. Enid Blyton spent several summers in Purbeck and the local landscape provided inspiration for her stories.
- Discover 1000 years of history.
For more information visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfecastle.
Naughty but nice Puddings!
Check out our delicious puddings, my favourite is the limoncello trifle, not suitable for the kids, but there are some other scrummy recipes that the whole family can enjoy! Take a look in our pudding section for recipes to make summer BBQ's and eating alfresco all the more tasty! My girls LOVE the chocolate pizza - making it, but mostly eating it!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!