Chicken, Sausage & Bacon Kebabs BBQ Recipe
30minutes cooking time
- Wooden or metal skewers, if using wooden skewers pre soak in water, to prevent them from burning on the barbecue.
- 3 proper sausages, the sort that looks like they came from a happy pig.
- 3 rashers of back bacon (smoked or unsmoked as you prefer).
- 1 small chicken breast or half a large chicken breast.
- Selection of vegetables from whatever you have, ideally things like onion, mushrooms, peppers, courgette, aubergines and baby tomatoes.
- Start with the sauce. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy stainless steel saucepan over a gentle heat and add the onion and garlic. Cover and sweat for four minutes, until soft and a little golden. Off the heat add the tomato puree and stir in well. Add all the other ingredients. You want a consistency that is 'just runny' you may need to add a tablespoon or two of water to achieve this. Allow to cool.
- For the kebabs start with the vegetables. For each kebab you need four bits of vegetable. Cut whatever vegetables you have into 2cm slices (courgettes), 2cm squares (peppers) or 2cm dice (aubergines). The baby tomatoes are fine as they are and mushrooms may need to be halved if they are big.
- Squeeze the sausage meat out of the sausages. This is a job children love. Use fingers from both hands to pinch the middle of each sausage. Leave one hand pinching the middle of the sausage while using the other hand to push one half of the sausage meat out of the skin. Then push the other half of the sausage meat out. Keep the two little tubes of sausage separately, don't mash them together even though it might seem tempting.
- Cut each rasher of bacon in half width wise, use this to wrap around the middle of the halved skinless sausages.
- Cut the chicken into evenly sized cubes so that you have three cubes for each kebab.
- If you are using wooden skewers take them out of the water.
- Thread the skewers with the vegetables and the meat. The order I prefer is vegetable, sausage/bacon, chicken, vegetable, sausage/bacon, chicken, vegetable, chicken, sausage/bacon and then finish off with a piece of vegetable. Thoughly wash the hands of everyone involved with cutting up and touching the raw meat.
- After many years of cooking huge barbecues at big hotels I like to completely cook the meat for a barbecue in the oven and then just put the meat on the barbecue in front of the guests for show and a bit of chargrilled flavour. Apparently this is being a kill joy. So by all means cook the kebabs on the barbecue.
- It is vital that the kebabs are fully cooked through. Take no chances! Depending on the heat and the distance of the grill from the coals the kebabs will take just under ten minutes for each side. Cut through a piece of sausage and a piece of chicken to check it it cooking right through to the centre. In the last minute of cooking paint on some of the barbecue sauce so the kebab is fully coated but don't allow the sugar sauce to burn.
- Serve with extra barbecue sauce and some barbecue classics like potato salad, tomato and onion salad, garlic bread or green salad.
Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
Get veggies into the kids and freeze spares for a quick meal
Tempura chunky cod fillet fish fingers
Posh fish finger sandwich with Serge’s tartar sauce & fries.
Chip shop cod fillets
Served with homemade curry sauce, chips & minted mushy peas.
Ham baked in Ginger Ale
This is a delicious meal for any Sunday lunch (make sure your ham is big enough for leftovers the next day!
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!