100minutes cooking time
- 25g (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (3½oz) lean lamb cubes boneless, fat-trimmed, cut into 1cm pieces
- Sprinkle of plain flour
- ½ onion peeled, chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled, washed, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground garam masala
- 60ml (2½fl oz) lamb stock baby-friendly
- 1 white potato peeled, washed, sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/ 325F/ gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the lamb and flour. Stir-fry continuously until the lamb pieces have browned. Then remove and place in a small oven-proof dish.
- Using the same frying pan heat a little oil and add the onion, carrot, bay leaf and stir-fry until the onion is soft and golden. Add the garlic and garam masala to the pan and stir-fry for a further 30secs, then immediately pour the mixture over the lamb in the ovenproof dish followed by the stock. Place the potato slices in a layer over the top until it forms a cover for the stew underneath.
- Brush a little melted butter or oil over the potato slices, cover the dish loosely with foil and place on the middle shelf of the oven and slow cook for 1½ hours.
- Allow cooling and shred or mash the meal as necessary for baby. For older children serve with a side of freshly cooked vegetables for a more filling meal. Delicious!
This is a hearty hotpot with a little garam masala thrown in for difference. Loaded with iron for baby, this meal is delicious and nutritious. Perfect for those cold winter evenings during the festive season.
Stage 3: 10 Months Plus
Zainab Jagot Ahmed
Prior to becoming a mummy, Zainab worked in marketing for almost 10 years in the fashion, entertainment and retail industries. Easy Indian SuperMeals for babies, toddlers and the family by Zainab Jagot Ahmed is a new book, due for publication in September 2014, for 7 months to 5 year+ children, as well as the whole family!