Coconut Chicken Curry – Stage 3
20minutes cooking time
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - peeled, chopped
- 1 chicken breast fillet (skinless) - cut into 1cm cubes
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tomato - washed, grated
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 150ml (5fl oz) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Squeeze of ½ a lemon - ensuring no seeds fall in
- ¼ tsp ground garam masala
- 60g (2½oz) broccoli florets - washed, chopped (no stems)
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and stir-fry on medium-low heat for 3-4mins until soft and golden.
- Add the chicken, turmeric and stir-fry until the chicken is sealed (opaque).
- Add the tomato, garlic, cumin and continue to stir-fry for a further 2-3mins.
- Add the coconut milk, desiccated coconut, lemon juice, garam masala and simmer on low heat for a further 10mins, stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender. If at any point the curry looks dry, add a little extra water and continue to simmer.
- Whilst the chicken is simmering, steam the broccoli in a steamer or in the microwave by placing it in a microwavable dish and adding 2 tablespoons of water. Cover the dish with either a lid (leaving a small vent) or cling film (piercing a few holes), and steam on high for 1½-2mins until tender.
- Once cooked, drain the excess water and add to the curry at the end.
- Combine well and serve to baby warm with roti or overcooked rice.
This SuperMeal is bursting with immune strengthening ingredients. Fresh lemon and broccoli provide vitamin C, and the coconut provides a source of anti-viral fats to keep cold and flu viruses at bay. In addition the chicken is anti-cancer and is an excellent source of ‘essential’ amino acids (protein), required for healthy growth and development.