15minutes cooking time
- 150g wholewheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ medium lemon, zest only
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 5g fresh parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- Place spaghetti in large pan of boiling water and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until tender.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the oil in a deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, cooking for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and lemon zest, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes become really soft and the oil has begun to take on an orange colour.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, drain and add it to the tomatoes, along with the chopped herbs.
- Stir to combine, then serve.
©The Vegetarian Society, recipe from Happy, Healthy and Delicious cookbook
This simple recipe uses few ingredients and produces a delicious light meal option. This recipe contains olive oil, which is praised for its many health benefits - including promoting good heart health.
Energy: 392 kcals Protein: 12.5g Carbohydrate: 58.6g Of which sugars: 9.5g Fat: 13.6g Of which saturates: 2.1g Fibre: 11.5g Salt: 0.3g
TV chefs the Hairy Bikers are on board for National Vegetarian Week 15-21 May 2017! Si King and Dave Myers, aka The Hairy Bikers, are getting involved in National Vegetarian Week and they think you should too!
So visit nationalvegetarianweek.org to get your free poster packs and sign up for newsletters filled to the brim with recipes, tips and fun stuff.