40minutes cooking time
- You can used tinned fruit or fresh fruit such as Apples, blackberries, rhubarb, gooseberries.
- See below for combination ideas and quantities.
150g plain flour
85g demerara sugar
50g Ground Almonds
- Make sure the fruit is peeled, cored and sliced
- Mix the fruit with any sugar and spices
- Rub the butter into the flour and then add the oats, nuts and sugar
- Place the mixture of fruit into an oven proof dish
- Sprinkle over the topping - I add 1/2 the mix and pat it down a bit and the sprinkle to other 1/2 over the top as I like the texture - to make it more 'crumbly' don't pat any down.
- Place the dish in a preheated over for about 40mins
- serve with clotted cream, single cream, hot custard, cold custard, icecream or all of the above!
Great Crumble Combinations (all serve 4 people)
Apple and Cinnamon - 900g Bramley apples, peeled and sliced, 75g castor sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon
Rhubarb and Ginger - 1kg rhubarb, 100g brown sugar, zest and juice of 1 orange, (2 pieces of stem ginger or 1tsp ginger- add to the crumble top not the rhubarb)
Apple and Blackberry - 3 Bramley apples, peeled and sliced, 300g blackberries, 2 tsp cinnamon, 100g demerara sugar