.Suitable for freezing
135minutes cooking time
.200 C°, 400 F°, Gas Mark 6
- Whole chicken
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Chicken Stock (made from the bones)
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Onions (skin left on)
- 2 litres Water
- 1 Bouquet garni of 2 parsley stalks, 2 sprigs of thyme and 1 bay leaf, tied with string
- Ready made short crust pastry or follow this recipe
- Roast the chicken as you would normally.
- Remove all of the chicken from the bones and set aside.
- Put all of the bones into a large pan and cover with water. Add the carrot and onions roughly chopped, the garlic and herbs.
- Simmer for at least 3 hours
- Add the butter to a pan and melt.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute
- Slowly add the stock a spoonful at a time.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- If it is too runny you can add a little cornflour to thicken.
- Mix the chicken in and leave to cool
- You can either use ready made short crust pastry or make your own using this recipe
Putting the Pie Together
- Split the pastry into two.
- Roll out one lot and put in the base of the pie dish.
- Add the cooled chicken and gravy mix
- Roll out the lid and lie on top of the mixture and pinch the edges all the way round.
- Brush all over with beaten egg and pop in the oven to cook for about 45 mins.
This pie takes a little more time but it definitely worth it! If you cook a large enough chicken for a roast you can use the left overs for the pie and use the bones to make the stock (or use stock cubes if you prefer)