100g plain chocolate (the best quality you can get)
2 tbsp double cream
50g unsalted butter
2 tbsp Gin whatever your favourite is but nothing too over powering . I'm using Ludlow Gin or I've used Bloom Gin.
1 tbsp Rose syrup (the kind you use in cocktails, available on the internet) optional could use any flavour syrup
Cocoa powder, pink lustre dust, crystallised rose petals to decorate
1. Place chocolate, cream and butter in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of hot water, or in a microwave.
2. Stir until well mixed together.
3. Add the gin, rose petals and rose syrup and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and slightly thickened, then chill in a fridge overnight.
4. The next day, take teaspoons of the mix and shape into balls or, as I prefer, slightly uneven nuggets.
5. To decorate, roll in cocoa powder then a little pink lustre dust if desired, and press some crushed crystallised rose petals on top.
6. Chill overnight, then enjoy!
Perfect for a Valentine gift or a gift for any occasion , let's face it who doesn't like chocolate or gin?
Plus a home made gift is always a lovely way to show your appreciation for a loved one , family member or friend.
It's said that the chocolate truffle was invented in the kitchen of Auguste Escoffier, a famous French chef. The story goes that his apprentice was trying to make pastry cream and accidentally poured the hot cream into a bowl full of chocolate chunks.
Taste the chocolate. Put half of the truffle in your mouth and let the flavors bounce around on your tongue. Move the chocolate to the roof of your mouth and let it melt. What flavors do you taste?