.Suitable for freezing
10minutes cooking time
.210 C°, 425 F°, Gas Mark 7
125g self-raising flour
100g wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g smoked ham, diced
50g mature hard cheese, grated
50g sun dried tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp chopped chives
125ml semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 220oC, gas mark 7.
- Sift the flours and baking powder in a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ham, half the cheese, all but 1 tbsp of tomatoes and the chives, season. Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out to 2cm thick on a floured work surface and using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 8 scones, placing them on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and chopped tomatoes. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Mix and match the ham with bacon or pulled ham hock. Use fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried and swap the herbs according to taste. Try using other types of cheese too.
- Source of protein ( >12% total energy)
- Low in sugar ( < 5g per 100g)
|Calories (kcal)||Protein/g||Fat/g||Saturated Fat/g||Carbohydrate/g||Carbohydrates of which Sugars/g||Salt/g||Fibre/g|
- Three in ten (30%) say they lack energy and one in seven (14%) feel grumpy
- They consume an extra 252 kcals a day
- They are twice as likely to reach for a bag of crisps or a biscuit mid-morning than breakfast eaters.