30minutes cooking time
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g carrot, chopped
- 15g celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 50g split red lentils
- 200g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 400ml vegetable or chicken stock, or water
- Saute the onion, carrot and celery in the vegetable oil for about 5 minutes or until softened
- Add the lentils and sweet potato and pour over the stock or water
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes
- Puree in a blender
From 'New Compete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner' Ebury Press
Adding lentils to a baby puree provides a good source of protein and beta-carotene and also folate, fibre and vitamin C. Orange-fleshed sweet potato is an excellent source of beta-carotene and this lentil recipe makes a sweet, soft, smooth puree that appeals to young babies. This is a simple homemade and healthy lentils recipe for babies.
Zainab Jagot Ahmed
Prior to becoming a mummy, Zainab worked in marketing for almost 10 years in the fashion, entertainment and retail industries. Easy Indian SuperMeals for babies, toddlers and the family by Zainab Jagot Ahmed is a new book, due for publication in September 2014, for 7 months to 5 year+ children, as well as the whole family!