30minutes cooking time
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50g plain flour
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 300 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 1.5 litre (2 ½ pint) ovenproof dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, flour, lemon zest and juice and whisk again.
- Slowly add the milk to make a thick batter. It will look curdled at this stage.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the lemon batter.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden on top.
- You could also make individual portions using ramekins.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.