20minutes cooking time
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 150 g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 110 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 110 g butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 85 g icing sugar
- Edible food colouring
- Edible jewels
- Jelly beans in bright colours
- Jelly tots
- Jelly diamonds
- Smarties or M&Ms in bright colours
- Sugar diamonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Line a 12-holed muffin tin with 10 paper cases.
- Cream the butter or margarine in an electric food mixer until soft.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, then mix in the lemon zest.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Add 1 tablespoon of the flour with the second egg, beating continuously.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder then fold in gently.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the muffin tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whilst the cupcakes are baking you can prepare the icing. Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Beat in the vanilla, then sift over the sugar and stir in until the sugar is combined. Beat for 1 minute until fluffy.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside in the fridge. If you wish, you can divide the icing into two bowls and colour each with a few drops of the different food colourings.5.
- Once the cakes are cold, swirl some of the icing on top of them and stick a selection of decorations into the icing.
- Leave to stand for around 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.
,Topped with a swirl of icing and a variety of ‘gems’. You could use ready-made buttercream instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, if you prefer.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.