Brain Zone, Life Science Centre
Your brain is the most amazing and mysterious thing about you – and something that you probably take for granted. The Brain Zone lets you understand what’s going on inside your head through exciting, fun activities and exhibits. Explore what makes you ‘you’. Find out how your brain works and how it controls so many of your body’s functions – often without you even realising it.
There’s still so much that we don’t know. Scientists are discovering new things every day and you, and your brilliant brain, can help improve our understanding by visiting The Brain Zone and taking part in experiments.
Why your brain is brilliant:
- Your brain is more powerful than the fastest super-computers in the world – it makes your smart phone look pretty stupid too!
- Your brain changes and adapts all the time. How you live, the world around you and what you do, all affect how your brain develops.
- Your brain is different to everyone else’s. Okay, there are some common characteristics but you are unique. We all see and interact with the world in different ways, what’s normal for you might be pretty strange to someone else.
Talk about messing with your head! Activities in the Brain Zone will really get you thinking and asking “how is that even possible?” Don’t miss:
- Sip of conflict – A drinking fountain disguised as a toilet bowl: your brain knows the water is clean and drinkable but can you happily have a drink and not think ‘yuk’?
- Disappearing hand – you will believe that your hand has disappeared even though your brain tells you it can’t be possible.
- Do not touch – dare you risk pressing the red button, and how will you react if you do?
- A REAL brain – meet the brain in person, the container of all our hopes, dreams and memories.
Life has worked with specialists from many universities to create the Brain Zone, including:
- Northumbria University
- Newcastle University
- Durham University
- University of York
- University of Nottingham
hosting a Haunted House Party
Raise money for the British Heart Foundation whilst having a fang-tastic time! Entertain your guest by playing ghostly games and dancing to mysterious music. Why not wow your guests with these healthy and tasty spooky snacks? If you would like to do some freaky face paints then watch these step by step video tutorials. Fri 27th-31st Oct
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!