Coping with the holidays as a single parent
Being a single parent is no easy feat, juggling work, life and children can be challenging. So what happens when it's the school holidays?
Luis Weston from www.singledaddydaycare.com explores what options are available.
The children's school has closed but your work hasn't! So let me explore what options are available to you to help with childcare arrangements.
Although, I'm a single father, I have joint custody with the children's mother - so, having an open and honest conversation well in advance with your ex partner is probably a wise move, should you be in a similar situation to me, planning is vital.
But what if you find yourself on your own with your children and have no ex partner to work with? It would appear, one of the biggest challenges is actually having the confidence to ask for help!
- If you have local family - they may be able to support.
- What about if you know of someone else in a similar situation? Speak to them and see if you can organise some sort of holiday share arrangement with each other's children perhaps?
- Holiday clubs aren't just operated by schools. Try looking online, your local gym or sports clubs often offer help and clubs for parents who can't take time off.
- Speak to other parents and see what they do, you may just stumble upon a really good idea or suggestion.
So, you have managed to take some time off for the school holidays, but money is tight. The following options are really worth considering:
- Join the National Trust, once you have paid your initial membership, you have access to all of their locations across the country. Get outside, have a picnic and do some exploring!
- It isn't always about going out, baking a cake can be a great way to pass time and keep the children busy and entertained.
- Cinema mornings - many big brand cinemas offer a discounted viewing of a slightly older film in the mornings - don't miss out!
- Rock Painting - Join in the craze, have some fun painting and decorating rocks and hide them! There is often a local group on Facebook for you to join.
For more parenting advice or tips, why not check out more of Luis' blogs over at www.singledaddycare.com
Luis Weston is children's author as well as a single parent blogger over at www.singledaddydaycare.com
He often writes about single parenting, co-parenting and dating among other things. He is the author of âThe Rainbow Gnome' which was his first published book in 2018, with more titles in the offing. Born in 1983 in Kent, UK. Luis spent his childhood years there and was successfully educated there, before relocating to the North West in his early 20's where he is now settled as a single father to his two children. As well as writing, he enjoys playing tennis, cooking and exploring new places.
Snazaroo launches innovative face paint Brush Pens
A clever combination of paint and brush set to revolutionise novice and professional face painting
The Toys (Hi)Story!
I remember when toy stores were a veritable fantasy land...Now it's' a totally different game
Exploring the Web with your Kids
One of the most fun and educational of rainy day activities for kids is exploring the web together
Global Parenting Expert Jo Frost Talks to Raring2go!
Jo Frost, who has previously starred as the 'Supernanny' talks to Raring2go!
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!