Leek, Parsnip and Chestnut Soup
30minutes cooking time
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 25g butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced and washed including most of the green part
- 1 stick celery
- 1 white onion
- 2 springs fresh thyme, leaves only, plus a few for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled, cored and chopped finely
- 75g cooked chestnuts, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Add the oil and the butter to a large pan and turn the heat to medium. Add in the leeks, celery and onion along with the thyme leaves and the peeled garlic. Season with salt and pepper and place a lid on and allow the vegetables to sweat for 10 minutes, stirring a few times in between.
- Now add the chopped parsnips and the chestnuts along with the stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the parsnips are tender. Make sure the vegetable are completely covered with stock, if not; add a little more as it depends on the size of your pan.
- After about 20 minutes all the vegetables should be nice and tender.
- Turn off the heat and blend either in a liquidiser or with a handheld blender. Never over fill your liquidiser so do this in batches and I would recommend leaving the soup to cool slightly before doing this.
- Blend until completely smooth before returning to the pan and reheating. You can add a little more stock if you feel the mix is too thick
Parsnips have a natural sweetness that work perfectly with the mellow flavour of leeks and chestnuts add a creaminess that nothing else will. This is the perfect winter soup that will keep you feeling warm and full all through the day.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of âHome at 7, Dinner at 8' has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Ham baked in Ginger Ale
This is a delicious meal for any Sunday lunch (make sure your ham is big enough for leftovers the next day!
Chicken and Bacon Kebabs
Do your kids love to cook? They'll love helping with this
Leek and Cheddar Cheese Crumble
The perfect side dish to accompany any Sunday roast.
Like a sausage casserole but with the added scone topping!
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Since 2001, Explore Learning have helped over 200,000 children to excel academically, reach their potential and achieve the best possible results.
Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.