Grow Your Own Tomatoes
Growing Tasty Tomatoes
This is a fun and easy activity to get your children into the fresh air and learn about food in any size garden with a tasty reward. All you need for perfect tomatoes are pots or grow bags and a sunny area in the garden or greenhouse. Grow from seed under cover in early spring or buy plants a bit later on. Webbs Garden Centres have everything you will need to get started.
What you will need for growing tomato plants...
- Tomato Planter (grow bag)
- Multi-purpose compost
- Miracle-Gro Pot Shots Food Cones
- Sharp knife
- Plant halos
- 3 grafted cordon tomato plants
- 9 canes
- Watering can
- Insert plant halo. Cut 3 holes in the grow bag along the dotted lines. Then push one plant halo into each of the holes.
- Carefully add plant. Fill the centre of the halos with compost. Plant one tomato into the centre of each halo, firming it in gently.
- Water and feed. Water in the plants. Push one Food Cone into the compost, to one side of the plant. Repeat with the other plants.
- Add support canes. Insert 3 canes into the holes in the side of each halo. Bring them together at the top; fix into a cane cap to form a pyramid
- Nip off surplus shoots. Take out any stems growing between the main shoot and side stems, as they use up energy needed for fruiting.
- Aftercare. Tie the stems into the cane supports as the plants grow, and water every day or two to prevent the plants wilting.
Webbs have got lots more great information on tomato growing. Click here to find out more.
Wonderfully situated in the centre of England, Webbs is a family business committed to providing the very best for your garden and home. We have everything for the dedicated and occasional gardener alike, as well as providing great places to visit for non gardeners. We have two stores, one at Wychbold, Droitwich and one at West Hagley. You can also shop online.
Celebrity Mum - Sarah Beeny Raring2go! Q & A
Raring2go! meets Sarah Beeny, who is best known for her hugely successful Channel 4 prime time show, 'Property Ladder'. She lives with her husband Graham and four young sons, Rafferty, Charlie, Billy and Laurie in homes in South London and Yorkshire.
Family Bushcraft - find out what’s so great about the great outdoors!
What’s so great about the great outdoors?
How to avoid a puncture ruining your holiday!
Going on holiday is stressful enough with children. Now just imagine getting a puncture on route?
Top Tips to Save Money on Your Family Holiday
New research shows that more than four in ten (41%) British parents have had to forgo a family get away during school holidays due to price hikes making it unaffordable.
Geronimo Festival is back for 2018 and is bigger and better than ever before with not one, but two events for you to enjoy! Book early for the best prices and then join us for tonnes of fun this Summer! We can't wait!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here