Growing Tasty Tomatoes
This is a fun and easy activity to get your children into the fresh air and learn about food in any size garden with a tasty reward. All you need for perfect tomatoes are pots or grow bags and a sunny area in the garden or greenhouse. Grow from seed under cover in early spring or buy plants a bit later on. Webbs Garden Centres have everything you will need to get started.
What you will need for growing tomato plants...
- Tomato Planter (grow bag)
- Multi-purpose compost
- Miracle-Gro Pot Shots Food Cones
- Sharp knife
- Plant halos
- 3 grafted cordon tomato plants
- 9 canes
- Watering can
- Insert plant halo. Cut 3 holes in the grow bag along the dotted lines. Then push one plant halo into each of the holes.
- Carefully add plant. Fill the centre of the halos with compost. Plant one tomato into the centre of each halo, firming it in gently.
- Water and feed. Water in the plants. Push one Food Cone into the compost, to one side of the plant. Repeat with the other plants.
- Add support canes. Insert 3 canes into the holes in the side of each halo. Bring them together at the top; fix into a cane cap to form a pyramid
- Nip off surplus shoots. Take out any stems growing between the main shoot and side stems, as they use up energy needed for fruiting.
- Aftercare. Tie the stems into the cane supports as the plants grow, and water every day or two to prevent the plants wilting.
Wonderfully situated in the centre of England, Webbs is a family business committed to providing the very best for your garden and home. We have everything for the dedicated and occasional gardener alike, as well as providing great places to visit for non gardeners. We have two stores, one at Wychbold, Droitwich and one at West Hagley. You can also shop online.