Turk-ish Christmas Strudel
40minutes cooking time
- 270g pack Filo Pastry sheets
- 190g FRY'S Vegetarian Chicken Style Strips (1/2 x 380g box)
- 160g jar/vacuum pack of cooked chestnuts 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 80g curly kale-finely chopped
- 80g cranberries
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds
For the Balls
- 190g (1/2 pack) FRY'S Vegetarian Mince (defrosted)
- 60g ground hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal flour
- 160g roast sweet potatoes
- 1 dessertspoon coconut oil
- 160g parsnips cut into sticks
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 160g mashed swede turnip
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh Ginger
- 160g stir fried shredded red cabbage
- 80g cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 160g green beans 160g carrots, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 lime Salt and pepper
- Prepare all vegetables, finely chop the swede and boil in water
- Preheat oven to 180DegC with a baking tray with the coconut fat.
- Chop up the sweet potato, toss in the hot oil on the baking tray in the oven put back in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bake the FRY'S Chicken Style Strips in the oven for 5 minutes
- Toss parsnips in soy sauce and add to the sweet potatoes
- Put the finely chopped kale, the chestnuts, the balsamic vinegar and garlic Into a large stainless steel heavy pan and gently heat for a few minutes until the chestnuts are hot
- Add in the FRY'S Chicken Style Strips and the cranberries, take off the heat and leave to simmer with a lid on
- Unfold the filo sheets onto a sheet of baking paper on a large chopping board.
- Paint a very light coat of oil and a pinch of flax seeds between each sheet Into the middle of the stack of filo sheets place a horizontal line of the chestnut and FRY'S Chicken Style Strips mix.
- Roll it up, paint lightly with oil and sprinkle with remaining seeds.
- Scrunch the strudel up a little, and place on a baking tray and then into the oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- In a cold bowl, knead all the ball ingredients together then shape into 12 balls
- Add balls to the sweet potatoes and parsnips in the oven which will meanwhile all need turning to make sure they are oiled and cooking on all sides
- Mash the swede with the ginger Simmer the carrots and beans in 3 tablespoons of water and juice of a lime
- Gently stir fry the red cabbage, with the sesame oil and the cashew nuts
Serve with rich gravy, cranberry or redcurrant jelly, hot apple sauce or a Christmassy chutney
Karin Ridgers gave up her well paid career to promote vegan living full time. A scary move that has meant she has worked flat out with ups and downs running her own business for 9 years.
Karin is the founder of VeggieVision TV – the internet TV station that addresses the fact that in the UK there are no veggie friendly TV programmes!
Cajun Quorn with Coriander Rice and Mango Salsa
Quorn provides a good low fat source of protein as well as being a great source of zinc, which helps to maintain a strong immune system.
Sweet Potato Fries
Spicy, so leave the cayenne pepper out if you prefer
Vegan Mini Mushroom Quiche
Increase the ‘mushroomy-ness’ depending on the mushroom used
Turk-ish Satay Party Sticks
"Turk-ish" Satay Party Sticks- these meat free kebab sticks are made with FRY'S Vegetarian Chicken Strips and dipped in a satay sauce-delicious!
With Father's Day coming up this month we should celebrate the special 'Dad' figures in our lives...in our article we have given you a few ideas for days out and activities that you and your Dad can do together to have fun and build a great relationship - spoil him and make memories for you all as a family! Click here to find out more...
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!