40minutes cooking time
- 12 wholemeal mini pita pocket breads
- 8 thick slices of FRY'S Polony sausage
- 12 slices of Vegusto (award winning dairy free melting cheese - Vegusto.co.uk)
- 12 pitted green olives
For the 5 a day pasta / pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable stock/water or red wine
- 3 tomatoes
- 300g jar tomato puree
- 80g crated carrot 80g broccoli and cauliflower florets finely chopped
- 60g curly kale finely chopped
- 80g courgette chopped
- 80g red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic , chopped
- 1 sprig watercress
- 1 stick of celery grated or finely chopped
- 30g dried apricots finely chopped
- 1 dessertspoon fresh, finely chopped marjoram/oregano
- 1 dessertspoon fresh, finely chopped basil
- 1 dessertspoon fresh, finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 80g red pepper finely chopped
1. In a large, heavy, stainless steel pan with a tight fitting lid put all the sauce vegetables except the red pepper, herbs and the tomato puree and very gently simmer for about 20-30 minutes to cook in their own juices.
2. Add in the tomato puree, red pepper and herbs, stir and reduce on a low heat until there is no spare liquid just a thick sauce.
3. Preheat oven to 180DegC
4. Cut the FRY'S Polony slices into 3 triangular segments and slice olives
5. On each mini pitta, spoon a dessertspoon of tomato sauce, then place 2 segments of FRY'S Polony, a slice of Vegusto melty "cheese" and top with a couple of slices of olives
6. Bake for 10 minutes, until the Vegusto begins to bubble.
Serve warm if possible with a big green salad for tea or as a great lunch box treat.
Karin Ridgers gave up her well paid career to promote vegan living full time. A scary move that has meant she has worked flat out with ups and downs running her own business for 9 years.
Karin is the founder of VeggieVision TV – the internet TV station that addresses the fact that in the UK there are no veggie friendly TV programmes!
Twice-Baked Potatoes with Leeks and Cheese
Potatoes are a good source of B vitamins and vitamin C
Baked Kale Spiced Crisps
I am always looking for ways to add more veg to our diet
Butternut Squash Stew with Curly Kale
Kale is a good non-dairy source of calcium, and this dish provides one third of the recommended daily intake of this important nutrient.
Sticky Tofu Satay Sticks
Made with lovely, firm tofu and a nutty sauce for dipping
Naughty but nice Puddings!
Check out our delicious puddings, my favourite is the limoncello trifle, not suitable for the kids, but there are some other scrummy recipes that the whole family can enjoy! Take a look in our pudding section for recipes to make summer BBQ's and eating alfresco all the more tasty! My girls LOVE the chocolate pizza - making it, but mostly eating it!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!