Mattar Pulao (Peas Pilau)
35minutes cooking time
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1″ root ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1” stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cups hot water
- salt to taste
- Rinse the rise and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over a medium flame and the cook the onions until softened and only slightly browned.
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon and cumin seeds; allow the seeds to change colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 mins or until slightly browned.
- Stir in the peas and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add the rice and stir fry for 20-30 secs.
- Add the water with the salt and bring to boil.
- Seal the pan with foil and cover with the lid and cook on low heat for 25 mins (use a heat diffuser beneath the pan if it is not a non-stick pan).
- Remove from the heat and allow to settle for 5 mins before serving.
Shermin A Ali
Founder & owner of Najma’s, Shermin A Ali launched her catering business in the summer of 2012. Catering mainly in artisan markets and making select home deliveries, after just a year of trading Najma’s was ‘Highly Commended’ by the Time & Leisure Food & Drink Awards in 2013. That same year Shermin also opened her home kitchen to teach Indian Cookery. Classes were extremely well received and Shermin has since continued running her small independent Cookery School from her home in South West London and has also taken her classes and workshops to local school and libraries.
Najma’s bespoke catering services forms the very core of the business and as a fully qualified Yoga Teacher, Shermin’s most recent venture has been the launch of her Yoga Party where she brings together her Hatha Yoga teaching with the best of Najma’s buffet catering.
Turk-ish Satay Party Sticks
"Turk-ish" Satay Party Sticks- these meat free kebab sticks are made with FRY'S Vegetarian Chicken Strips and dipped in a satay sauce-delicious!
Sweet Potato Fries
Spicy, so leave the cayenne pepper out if you prefer
A great way to make vegetables tasty and more appealing for the whole family!
Quinoa & halloumi burgers with corn salsa
I like to use red quinoa to make these substantial burgers for its colour and nutty texture, but any variety will do.
Geronimo Festival is back for 2018 and is bigger and better than ever before with not one, but two events for you to enjoy! Book early for the best prices and then join us for tonnes of fun this Summer! We can't wait!
Eye-boggling events near you
If you are looking for something new and exciting to do this Easter then look no further than than Fantastic for Families...the nation's new listings website for families. Click here for their top picks for creative family outings this Easter!