Butternut Squash Stew with Curly Kale
50minutes cooking time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 50g red lentils
- 250ml passata
- 350g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 1/2 400g can black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 750ml reduced sodium vegetable stock
- 80g kale, washed and finely shredded
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 slices wholemeal baguette
- Add the oil to a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots and cook for about five minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon and ginger and continue to cook for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the lentils and passata, cooking for a further 15 minutes and stirring occasionally. (You may need to add a little more passata during cooking.)
- Add the squash, black-eyed peas and stock to pan, then simmer for 30 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Once the squash has been cooking for 20 minutes, steam the kale for about 10 minutes, either over the stew or in a separate pan, until slightly softened but still bright green.
- Stir the kale into the squash and lentil mixture, then season to taste with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls, either alone or with slices of crusty wholemeal baguette.
The Vegetarian Society
The Vegetarian Society influences, inspires and supports people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle.
Vegan Battenberg Cake
A delicious Vegan take on the Battenberg from Keith Squires.
A tasty accompaniment to anyone's Christmas dinner...
Keith's Rainbow Dhal
A delicious Vegan Rainbow Dahl from Keith Squires.
Leek, Kale and Herb Omelette with Green Salad
Leek, Kale and Herb Omelette with Green Salad...
Most children love to help in the kitchen, whether it is preparing a whole meal or baking some tasty treats. We have lots of yummy recipes that the children can help with, and that the whole family can then enjoy eating. Click here to take a look at our recipe section for mealtime inspiration and cheeky goodies to try with the family this summer!!!
Get 20% off Wallace & Gromit's Musical Marvel
Wallace performs his musical masterpiece My Concerto in Ee Lad with help from his faithful canine companion Gromit…what could possibly go wrong?! This interactive experience has specially created animations and a live orchestral accompaniment. Use your Raring2go! Membership to get 20% off tickets.
It’s set to be a grand day out for the whole family!