Leek, White Bean and Smoked Haddock Stew
20minutes cooking time
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly into rings
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml milk
- 600ml fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g smoked haddock fillet, undyed
- 30g plain flour
- 1 x 195g tin of sweetcorn
- 2 x 400g tins white beans; drained and washed (you can use cannellini, butter or haricot beans)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Place a medium-sized saucepan or sautÃ© pan on the stove and add the butter. Allow it to melt before adding the leeks and potatoes with a pinch of salt and a generous twist of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, pour the milk and the stock into another pan with the bay leaf and add the fish. Bring to the boil before removing the fish from the poaching liquor. When cool enough to handle, flake the fish into chunks and remove and discard any skin. Set the cooking liquor aside.
- Add the flour and the sweetcorn to the leeks and potatoes and stir well. Cook the flour and sweetcorn for a few minutes before adding the hot poaching liquor. Mix well and bring to the boil. Add the drained beans and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the flaked fish to the stew and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty white bread.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of ‘Home at 7, Dinner at 8’ has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Healthy Pasta Salad
Try making this healthy pasta salad at home.
Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a Butter, Almond, Sage and Honey Granish
Why not try Giovanni Rana’s recipe for this traditional Italian summer favourite, Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a butter and almond garnish, as created by Mr Giovanni Rana and Antonella Rana in this short film.
Tempura chunky cod fillet fish fingers
Posh fish finger sandwich with Serge’s tartar sauce & fries.
Turkey Tips from Farmer Booth
Turkey Tips from Farmer Booth...
Delve into Durham
Delve into Durham's amazing history with a break in 2018 and see the past come to life at award winning attractions and events. Don't miss the Bodies of Evidence exhibition at Palace Green Library or visit the majestic Durham Cathedral. Take a tour of Medieval Raby Castle, or visit the magnificent Bowes Museum. You could even take a tram ride!
Pets at Home
Head down to your local Pets at Home store during the summer holidays for a fantastic My Pet Pals activity workshop! Our My Pet Pals workshops help to teach children how rewarding pets can be and how to care for them responsibly. There's a truly hands-on approach to pet care, as well as loads of goodies..and the best bit is, it's all FREE! Book now