Leek, White Bean and Smoked Haddock Stew
20minutes cooking time
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly into rings
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml milk
- 600ml fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g smoked haddock fillet, undyed
- 30g plain flour
- 1 x 195g tin of sweetcorn
- 2 x 400g tins white beans; drained and washed (you can use cannellini, butter or haricot beans)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Place a medium-sized saucepan or sautÃ© pan on the stove and add the butter. Allow it to melt before adding the leeks and potatoes with a pinch of salt and a generous twist of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, pour the milk and the stock into another pan with the bay leaf and add the fish. Bring to the boil before removing the fish from the poaching liquor. When cool enough to handle, flake the fish into chunks and remove and discard any skin. Set the cooking liquor aside.
- Add the flour and the sweetcorn to the leeks and potatoes and stir well. Cook the flour and sweetcorn for a few minutes before adding the hot poaching liquor. Mix well and bring to the boil. Add the drained beans and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the flaked fish to the stew and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty white bread.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of âHome at 7, Dinner at 8' has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Roasted Leek, Endive, Walnut and Apple Salad with Goats Cheese
It’s always nice to have something a little bit different from a standard salad and this wintery salad is just that.
For when you’re looking to sneak your five-a-day into the kids’ diets with ease, Cathryn’s vegetable tagine is jam-packed with flavourful vegetables, and is as hearty as it is healthy.
Mackerel with Spinach (Macher Chorchori)
Based on the traditional Bengali dish known as ‘chorchori’ (medley) this is variation which I learnt to cook from my father
A lovely pie-perfect with mash and veg..nice and comforting!
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Try the multi‑award winning online reading programme for ages 2–13. Designed by expert educators, it's the proven way to help your child learn to read and prepare for school while having fun.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun for young kids — and it really works!