Leek, White Bean and Smoked Haddock Stew
20minutes cooking time
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly into rings
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml milk
- 600ml fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g smoked haddock fillet, undyed
- 30g plain flour
- 1 x 195g tin of sweetcorn
- 2 x 400g tins white beans; drained and washed (you can use cannellini, butter or haricot beans)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Place a medium-sized saucepan or sautÃ© pan on the stove and add the butter. Allow it to melt before adding the leeks and potatoes with a pinch of salt and a generous twist of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, pour the milk and the stock into another pan with the bay leaf and add the fish. Bring to the boil before removing the fish from the poaching liquor. When cool enough to handle, flake the fish into chunks and remove and discard any skin. Set the cooking liquor aside.
- Add the flour and the sweetcorn to the leeks and potatoes and stir well. Cook the flour and sweetcorn for a few minutes before adding the hot poaching liquor. Mix well and bring to the boil. Add the drained beans and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the flaked fish to the stew and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty white bread.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of ‘Home at 7, Dinner at 8’ has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Healthy Pasta Salad
Try making this healthy pasta salad at home.
Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a Butter, Almond, Sage and Honey Granish
Why not try Giovanni Rana’s recipe for this traditional Italian summer favourite, Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a butter and almond garnish, as created by Mr Giovanni Rana and Antonella Rana in this short film.
Spiced lamb with couscous salad
This is a very simple, but delicious meal, hot or cold.
Ham baked in Ginger Ale
This is a delicious meal for any Sunday lunch (make sure your ham is big enough for leftovers the next day!
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.