Leek, White Bean and Smoked Haddock Stew
20minutes cooking time
- 30g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly into rings
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400ml milk
- 600ml fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g smoked haddock fillet, undyed
- 30g plain flour
- 1 x 195g tin of sweetcorn
- 2 x 400g tins white beans; drained and washed (you can use cannellini, butter or haricot beans)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Place a medium-sized saucepan or sautÃ© pan on the stove and add the butter. Allow it to melt before adding the leeks and potatoes with a pinch of salt and a generous twist of pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Meanwhile, pour the milk and the stock into another pan with the bay leaf and add the fish. Bring to the boil before removing the fish from the poaching liquor. When cool enough to handle, flake the fish into chunks and remove and discard any skin. Set the cooking liquor aside.
- Add the flour and the sweetcorn to the leeks and potatoes and stir well. Cook the flour and sweetcorn for a few minutes before adding the hot poaching liquor. Mix well and bring to the boil. Add the drained beans and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the flaked fish to the stew and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty white bread.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of âHome at 7, Dinner at 8' has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Beef or Pork Ribs
The Stores chef Tim has a great recipe for BBQ ribs
Better than a takeaway! Use more or less spice to suit
Tangy Chicken and Mango Fajitas
Why not join the fajita craze with taste developer Andrea Lembke, who’s serving up her favourite dish with a twist this summer with her favourite recipe for Tangy Chicken and Mango fajitas
Roasted Leek, Endive, Walnut and Apple Salad with Goats Cheese
It’s always nice to have something a little bit different from a standard salad and this wintery salad is just that.
Most children love to help in the kitchen, whether it is preparing a whole meal or baking some tasty treats. We have lots of yummy recipes that the children can help with, and that the whole family can then enjoy eating. Click here to take a look at our recipe section for mealtime inspiration and cheeky goodies to try with the family this summer!!!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here