Leek, Stewed Venison and Wild Mushroom Pies
120minutes cooking time
For the Pie Filling
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1kg diced venison
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced
- 1 sticks celery finely diced
- 150g smoked bacon or pancetta, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 juniper berries, crushed gently using back of knife
- 50g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 300mls of boiling water
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300mls red wine
- 600mls game or beef stock
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp red currant jelly
- Salt and pepper
For the Pastry:
- 2 sheets pre-rolled short crust pastry
- 2 egg yolks to glaze, beaten
- To make the filling for the pie put a large casserole pan on the heat and add the oil.
- Add to this 1 third of the diced venison and season with salt and pepper. Allow the meat to colour well on all sides before removing from the pan and frying the next batch.
- When all browned, Turn the heat down to low, clean out any burnt bits from the bottom of the pan and add a little more oil. Add in the sliced leeks, celery, bacon, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and crushed juniper berries. Place a lid on top and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add back in the browned venison along with the soaked dried mushrooms, (reserve the soaking liquor for later). Stir together well before adding in the tomato puree and coating the meat well. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the flour, red wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce and mushroom liquor.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for two and half hours, stirring every half an hour or so. You can also do this in the oven, 160°C with a tight fitting lid.
- Once the stew is cooked, the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened, add in the red currant jelly, check for seasoning and turn off the heat. The stew now needs to cool completely in your pie dish.
- Lay the pastry out on your work surface and cut the lid to fit your desired pie dish. With the left over pastry cut strips that will fit around the rim of your dish or dishes. Beat an egg yolk and brush the edges of your pie dish/dishes. Place the strips of pastry onto the rim or rims or your chosen dishes, brush with a little more egg and lay on the tops. Press the edges down using a folk and trim off any excess pastry. Make a small incision in the top of your pie/pies and brush the tops all over with the remaining egg yolk. Sprinkle with salt. These can now be cooked in a hot oven until golden brown for 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the pies at 180°C.
Serve your pie with mash potatoes and greens of your choice.
Sophie Wright, one of the youngest stars of British cuisine creates a range of classic British dishes with a modern twist. The chef, author of ‘Home at 7, Dinner at 8’ has used her creative flair to develop six new contemporary recipes, which include weekday wonders and satisfying suppers.
Treat the family to pizza with a difference
Better than a takeaway! Use more or less spice to suit
Meatballs with tomato sauce.
Delicious homemade meatballs and tomato sauce - a perfect winter warmer!
Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a Butter, Almond, Sage and Honey Granish
Why not try Giovanni Rana’s recipe for this traditional Italian summer favourite, Italian Cheeses Ravioli with a butter and almond garnish, as created by Mr Giovanni Rana and Antonella Rana in this short film.
Now that we are in autumn everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to celebrate this lovely colourful season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the cooler, fresh air and the crunchy leaves under foot - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.