Little Harley and Henry Hedgehog Rolls
15minutes cooking time
- 300g strong white Â bread flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4g (1tsp) caster sugar
- 4g (1tsp) easy-blend/fast action yeast
- 100ml water, warmed
- 50ml full-fat milk warmed
- 10g unsalted butter, softened
- 20 currants
- 5 glace cherries, quartered
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Tip the flour, salt, sugar and yeast wither into the bowl of a free-standing mixer fitted with a bread hook or into a large bowl, and mix until combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Combine the warm water and milk in a jug, add the softened butter and stir so that the butter starts to melt.
- Slowly pour the warm liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Knead for about 7 minutes in the mixer or for 10-12 minutes by hand (little hands may need some help) until smooth and soft.
- Put the dough into a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove until doubled in size. This will take about 1-1 ½ hours.
- Turn out onto the work surface and knead for about 1 minute to knock back the dough. Divide evenly into 10 balls and form pinecone-shaped rolls.
- Place 5 rolls on each baking tray, then cover with greased clingfilm and leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Push currant eyes into each roll abd a cherry quarter for his nose. Brush each roll with beaten egg.
- Use scissors to snip little spikes onto each roll.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes until they sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Cool on wire racks before serving.
Jo has since opened a Home bakery school from her house in Essex, and written a book called 'A Passion for Baking'. Mum to 3 grown up boys, family will always be her main priority but she loves her new job.
These are quick and easy and children just love them. They also really encourage fussy eaters to try new things and are a fab idea for children’s parties.
What child doesn't love a little fairy cake with sprinkles or sweets on it?! A simple, yet tasty and fun recipe!
Iced Biscuit Shapes
Children love making these cookies. Many will remember the fun they had for the rest of their lives, and it’s a unique thrill for an adult to watch such memories in the making.
Advent Calendar Competition
This year we are bringing back our Advent Calendar Competition on our Facebook page! Each day from 1st - 24th December we will be running a task on the page and picking someone to win a prize bundle. With prizes from Our Little Globe, Stuck on You, Thermapen, Scentco UK, ToucanBox, HamaBeads, Orchard Toys, Pip Ahoy, Gotrovo and more, don't miss it!
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!