Hot Cross Buns
20minutes cooking time
- 500g Strong Bread Flour
- 1 stp Salt
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 7g Fast-action Yeast
- 300ml Milk
- 50g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 130g Sultanas and Mixed Peel
- 1 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
- 75g plain flour
- Apricot Jam
- Or Water and granulated sugar melted together
- Heat the milk and melt in the butter. Remove and leave to cool
- In a bowl mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together
- Make a well in the middle, pour in the milk and butter mix and then beat the egg and add this.
- Stir it all together with a spoon and then use your hands to bring it all together-it will be a sticky dough
- knead the dough on a lightly floured service for 5 minutes. Lightly oil a bowl and put the dough in and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size
- Tip in the sultanas, mixed peel and mixed spice into the dough, knead (still in the bowl) the dough, cover again and leave to rise for 1/2 hour.
- Make a long sausage with the dough. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces on a floured surface and roll into a ball. Place on a lined baking tray and cover again with cling film. Leave enough room between each bun for the dough to expand. Leave for 1/2 hour
- Mix the plain flour with a small amount of water to make a thick paste. Using a piping bag or a plastic food bag (snip off the corner to act as the nozzle)
- Pipe a cross on each bun
- Bake for 20mins until golden brown
- Melt the jam and brush over the warm buns (you can use sugar and a small amount of water if you dont have jam)
Chocolate Crispy Cakes
Who doesn't love these-and so easy for the kids to make!
Marshmallow Sheep Cupcakes
Be inspired by these Marshmallow Sheep Cupcakes from Annabel Karmel. Bake regular and mini party cupcakes and decorate these party cupcakes to make little marshmallow sheep
Individual Baked Easter Cheesecakes
These individual cheesecakes are very sweet and so easy to make...
Chocolate Rabbit Biscuits
These cute little biscuits don't just have to be rabbits...
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Try the multi‑award winning online reading programme for ages 2–13. Designed by expert educators, it's the proven way to help your child learn to read and prepare for school while having fun.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun for young kids — and it really works!