Hot Cross Buns
20minutes cooking time
- 500g Strong Bread Flour
- 1 stp Salt
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 7g Fast-action Yeast
- 300ml Milk
- 50g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 130g Sultanas and Mixed Peel
- 1 tsp Ground Mixed Spice
- 75g plain flour
- Apricot Jam
- Or Water and granulated sugar melted together
- Heat the milk and melt in the butter. Remove and leave to cool
- In a bowl mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together
- Make a well in the middle, pour in the milk and butter mix and then beat the egg and add this.
- Stir it all together with a spoon and then use your hands to bring it all together-it will be a sticky dough
- knead the dough on a lightly floured service for 5 minutes. Lightly oil a bowl and put the dough in and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size
- Tip in the sultanas, mixed peel and mixed spice into the dough, knead (still in the bowl) the dough, cover again and leave to rise for 1/2 hour.
- Make a long sausage with the dough. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces on a floured surface and roll into a ball. Place on a lined baking tray and cover again with cling film. Leave enough room between each bun for the dough to expand. Leave for 1/2 hour
- Mix the plain flour with a small amount of water to make a thick paste. Using a piping bag or a plastic food bag (snip off the corner to act as the nozzle)
- Pipe a cross on each bun
- Bake for 20mins until golden brown
- Melt the jam and brush over the warm buns (you can use sugar and a small amount of water if you dont have jam)
enjoy... Easter Cookies
Clairey Fairy Cakes shares their recipe for Easter Cookies
Spicy Easter Bunny Biscuits
Spicy Easter Bunny biscuits: easy to make and easy to enjoy!
Cream cheese Easter biscuits
These Easter biscuits are delicious iced or un-iced.
You cannot beat this classic carrot cake recipe...
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!
Now that we are in winter everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to enjoy the festive season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the world around you - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle!