5minutes cooking time
- 450g dark brown sugar
- 125ml boiling water
- 130ml black treacle
- 100ml golden syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Put the sugar and water in a large pan, heat without stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add treacle, syrup and cream of tartar.
- Heat until toffee is the correct temperature.This takes ages... use this time to line a tin with non stick paper and grease. Stay near the pan because although it takes a long time (3 mins or so) it is easy to burn when it gets there.
- How to know when it's ready:The method my great nan taught me when I was 12: after a while drop a tiny amount into ice cold water and pick it out. If it is still soft then it needs longer. If it is correct temperature then the toffee will be brittle.The method for today's world: use a thermometer ...135-140°C. higher temp equals harder toffee.I actually use both methods now because it takes such a long time to get from 116°C to 130°C+ the thermometer tells you when to use the drop in water method.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and leave to harden.
- Once cold break up the toffee with a hammer and wrap in brown grease proof paper and keep in airtight container.
- Watch out for your teeth and friends who steal your toffee then get you to make them a batch anyway!
My name is Anna, I have 1 gorgeous little girl, Holly. Her Daddy and I love taking her camping, swimming and to the beach. We are currently rennovating our house, but love nothing more than escaping to the great outdoors as a family! We are keen scuba divers and Holly has now got her first wetsuit so she can join us on our trips (not that she is diving yet!)
Try these tasty rainbow cookies with the children-loads of fun in making and eating!
Campfire Chocolate Orange Brownies
Next time you have a campfire going, get the kids involved in making these lovely chocolate orange brownies. Not only are they really easy to make, but they're great to eat too!
Mrs Bagshaws Wartime Treacle Cake
Delicious anytime of the year but great for autumn and bonfire night
Toffee Apple Cupcakes
We have a yummy recipe for you to try at home with your children!
Geronimo Festival is back for 2018 and is bigger and better than ever before with not one, but two events for you to enjoy! Book early for the best prices and then join us for tonnes of fun this Summer! We can't wait!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here