5minutes cooking time
- 450g dark brown sugar
- 125ml boiling water
- 130ml black treacle
- 100ml golden syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Put the sugar and water in a large pan, heat without stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add treacle, syrup and cream of tartar.
- Heat until toffee is the correct temperature.This takes ages... use this time to line a tin with non stick paper and grease. Stay near the pan because although it takes a long time (3 mins or so) it is easy to burn when it gets there.
- How to know when it's ready:The method my great nan taught me when I was 12: after a while drop a tiny amount into ice cold water and pick it out. If it is still soft then it needs longer. If it is correct temperature then the toffee will be brittle.The method for today's world: use a thermometer ...135-140°C. higher temp equals harder toffee.I actually use both methods now because it takes such a long time to get from 116°C to 130°C+ the thermometer tells you when to use the drop in water method.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and leave to harden.
- Once cold break up the toffee with a hammer and wrap in brown grease proof paper and keep in airtight container.
- Watch out for your teeth and friends who steal your toffee then get you to make them a batch anyway!
My name is Anna, I have 1 gorgeous little girl, Holly. Her Daddy and I love taking her camping, swimming and to the beach. We are currently rennovating our house, but love nothing more than escaping to the great outdoors as a family! We are keen scuba divers and Holly has now got her first wetsuit so she can join us on our trips (not that she is diving yet!)
Homemade Strawberry Jam
Homemade strawberry jam made from surplus fruit
Plum and Blackcurrant Muffins
A perfect bake for Autumn!
Send your children to school with a Valentine's treat to brighten up their day!
A fool proof recipe that the whole family will love to eat!
Become a member today!
Becoming a member of Raring2go! is quick and simple, and even better - it is FREE! For a couple of minutes of your time signing up you will be rewarded with a national and local newsletter monthly, as well as being eligible to take advantage of our members only discounts and competitions! What more do you need? Sign up today!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!