Toffee Apple Cupcakes
20minutes cooking time
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 115 g caster sugar
- 115 g self raising flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ large cooking apple, peeled, chopped and diced into small chunks
- 70 g fudge pieces
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 5mm dice
- 75g butter
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- Spiced cream cheese
- 85g cream cheese, softened
- 75g butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 480g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream the butter and sugar and then add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add milk apples and fudge.
- Put the mixture into cases and cook in pre heated oven 15-20 mins 180°c
- When cooled core out a piece from middle and add apple sauce and put lid back on.
- Top with spiced cream cheese topping
- Whilst the cakes are cooking make the Apple Sauce
- Place the diced apples in a heavy-based pan with the butter and sugar and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and, stirring constantly, cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes, until the colour of the sauce begins to darken, then remove the pan from the heat. You do not want it too mushy!
- Probably loads of sauce left over, add some double cream and heat.... yummy over ice cream or heat and add a splash of calvados for the grown ups !
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and allspice together. Gradually mix in the icing sugar, vanilla and milk until the mixture is spreadable.
- Decorate your cakes!
We love these-store in a tupperware they last for ages (if they don't get eaten!!)
Dairy Free Cupcakes
Just because you can't eat dairy does not mean you should miss out on eating cupcakes...
Chocolate and Hazelnut Cupcakes
The hidden hazlenut spread turns these cupcakes into something very cheeky!
Chocolate Goo Cakes
We love making these easy Chocolate Goo cakes – so called as they have a delicious melted chocolate centre. The children love putting the chocolate chunk in the centre of each cupcake and covering it over!
Delve into Durham
Delve into Durham's amazing history with a break in 2018 and see the past come to life at award winning attractions and events. Don't miss the Bodies of Evidence exhibition at Palace Green Library or visit the majestic Durham Cathedral. Take a tour of Medieval Raby Castle, or visit the magnificent Bowes Museum. You could even take a tram ride!
Pets at Home
Head down to your local Pets at Home store during the summer holidays for a fantastic My Pet Pals activity workshop! Our My Pet Pals workshops help to teach children how rewarding pets can be and how to care for them responsibly. There's a truly hands-on approach to pet care, as well as loads of goodies..and the best bit is, it's all FREE! Book now