15minutes cooking time
- 350g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 100g Butter or Marg
- 175g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Golden Sugar
- icing or melted chocolate
- raisins, smarties or other sweets for decoration
- Mix flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda together
- Rub in the butter using your fingers
- Add sugar and stir in the syrup and egg to make a dough
- Chill for 1 hour
- Heat the oven
- Grease the baking trays
- Roll out or pat out (for younger children) the dough to just under 1cm thick
- Use cutters to cut out shapes and place on the baking tray
- Chill for 1 hour
- Cook for 10-15 mins until golden
- Once cooled use icing or melted chocolate to stick sweeties or raisins on as decoration. You can decorate with chocolate drops or smarties before cooking but I prefer to do it after.
Ria has 2 girls and previously worked in nurseries for over over 15 years and left managing a day nursery when her eldest was born. She now works for Raring2go! as our digital content and strategy manager
If you are interested in writing for Raring2go! or featuring on our site please email Ria.
Chocolate Goo Cakes
We love making these easy Chocolate Goo cakes – so called as they have a delicious melted chocolate centre. The children love putting the chocolate chunk in the centre of each cupcake and covering it over!
Toffee Apple Cupcakes
We have a yummy recipe for you to try at home with your children!
Rocky Road recipe
A firm favourite, Rocky Road. This recipe is very easy and simple to do and the results are scrumptious!
So simple, and the kids LOVE it!
Now that we are in autumn everyone is looking for things to do with the kids to celebrate this lovely colourful season. Here we have some great ideas, and they don't all involve being cooped up indoors! Get out and enjoy the cooler, fresh air and the crunchy leaves under foot - you can always return home afterwards for a hot chocolate and a snuggle
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.