Stained Glass Window Biscuits
12minutes cooking time
- 350g/12 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt (half)
- 100g (4 oz) butter
- 175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- different coloured fruit flavoured boiled sweets
- White Icing
- 100g Royal Icing
- 6 tsp water
- Or use White Writing Icing
- narrow ribbon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the egg and golden syrup and mix into the flour mixture to make a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.
- Crush the sweets in their wrappers using a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the dough until about 1/2cm (1/4in) thick, then cut into shapes using a selection of Christmas Cookie cutters.
- Transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Cut out shapes in the centre of each biscuit, making sure you leave a good edge all around the biscuit.
- Completely fill the hole in each biscuit with crushed boiled sweets.
- Make a hole at the top of each biscuit using a drinking straw so that you will be able to thread a ribbon through it later.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden.
- While the biscuits are still warm, check the holes are still there, otherwise push a straw through again.
- Do not remove the biscuits from the baking tray until they have cooled as the boiled sweets need to harden.
- Once the sweets have hardened, gently lift the biscuits onto a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling.
- You can decorate the biscuits with piped white icing .Mix the Royal Icing together with the water to get a good consistency and use this to ice the cookies . Alternativly use white Writing icing - which you can buy in a tube in the supermarket.
- Thread ribbons through the holes to make loops for hanging.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
A firm favourite, a great way to get kids to eat veggies
Getting kids cooking in the kitchen is a great way of developing their skills and understanding of where different foods come from. And the festive season is the perfect time to cook-up some twinkling treats for everyone to enjoy.
These little balls are a fantastic way to pack in veggies
Let your party girls create their own jewelled cupcakes, topped with a swirl of icing and a variety of ‘gems’. You could use ready-made buttercream instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, if you prefer.
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Try the multi‑award winning online reading programme for ages 2–13. Designed by expert educators, it's the proven way to help your child learn to read and prepare for school while having fun.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun for young kids — and it really works!