Stained Glass Window Biscuits
12minutes cooking time
- 350g/12 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt (half)
- 100g (4 oz) butter
- 175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- different coloured fruit flavoured boiled sweets
- White Icing
- 100g Royal Icing
- 6 tsp water
- Or use White Writing Icing
- narrow ribbon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the egg and golden syrup and mix into the flour mixture to make a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.
- Crush the sweets in their wrappers using a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the dough until about 1/2cm (1/4in) thick, then cut into shapes using a selection of Christmas Cookie cutters.
- Transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Cut out shapes in the centre of each biscuit, making sure you leave a good edge all around the biscuit.
- Completely fill the hole in each biscuit with crushed boiled sweets.
- Make a hole at the top of each biscuit using a drinking straw so that you will be able to thread a ribbon through it later.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden.
- While the biscuits are still warm, check the holes are still there, otherwise push a straw through again.
- Do not remove the biscuits from the baking tray until they have cooled as the boiled sweets need to harden.
- Once the sweets have hardened, gently lift the biscuits onto a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling.
- You can decorate the biscuits with piped white icing .Mix the Royal Icing together with the water to get a good consistency and use this to ice the cookies . Alternativly use white Writing icing - which you can buy in a tube in the supermarket.
- Thread ribbons through the holes to make loops for hanging.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Cheesy Cottage Pie
Another delicious recipe from Annabel Karmel, perfect for the whole family!
Let your party girls create their own jewelled cupcakes, topped with a swirl of icing and a variety of ‘gems’. You could use ready-made buttercream instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, if you prefer.
Chocolate Christmas Trees
Leading children’s cookery author and food expert Annabel Karmel shares some of her favourite Christmas creations with Raring2go! – do dig out those aprons and cook up some festive spirit in your kitchen.
Cranberry and White Chocolate Cookies
Instead of giving baked cookies as a gift for Christmas, why not give the recipe for one of your favourite cookies and then layer all the ingredients in a glass jar and tie a ribbon around it. All of the ingredients for these cookies are in the jar apart from the butter and they are very quick and easy to make.
Geronimo Festival is back for 2018 and is bigger and better than ever before with not one, but two events for you to enjoy! Book early for the best prices and then join us for tonnes of fun this Summer! We can't wait!
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here