30minutes cooking time
- 100 g (31â2 oz) butter, softened
- 100 g (31â2 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 300 ml (1â2 pint) milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 1.5 litre (21â2 pint) ovenproof dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, flour, lemon zest and juice and whisk again. Slowly add the milk to make a thick batter. It will look curdled at this stage.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the lemon batter. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden on top.
4. You could also make individual portions using ramekins.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Apple and Almond Cake
Delicious Apple and Almond Cake from Annabel Karmel
Lovely Lentils Baby Puree
A new autumn inspired baby puree from Annabel Karmel
Porridge with Apple, Pear and Apricot Baby Puree
This makes a nutritious breakfast. Make up portions of the fruit puree and freezes. Then you can thaw them overnight, ready to mix with your baby porridge in the morning. As your baby gets older you can simply stir in rather than puree.
Cod with Salsa
Step into Spring with this lovely fresh tasting recipe
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.