30minutes cooking time
- 100 g (31Ã¢2 oz) butter, softened
- 100 g (31Ã¢2 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 300 ml (1Ã¢2 pint) milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a 1.5 litre (21Ã¢2 pint) ovenproof dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, flour, lemon zest and juice and whisk again. Slowly add the milk to make a thick batter. It will look curdled at this stage.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the lemon batter. Pour into the prepared dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden on top.
4. You could also make individual portions using ramekins.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Chicken Caesar Salad
A tasty recipe to make lunch boxes more interesting for your little ones! The croutons and dressing for this salad can be made the night before. All you need to do in the morning is mix up the ingredients and toss with the dressing. You can even use ready made croutons.
The Easter break is a lovely opportunity to cook with your child. These are my favourite Ginger Cookies and they only take a few minutes to prepare.
'Eat Your Greens' Puree
A new autumn baby puree from Annabel Karmel
Beefy Sausage Roll
Sausage rolls make great picnic and party finger foods as they are ready-wrapped in pastry. To add a slight twist I like to use beef, but minced pork would also be good.
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Try the multi‑award winning online reading programme for ages 2–13. Designed by expert educators, it's the proven way to help your child learn to read and prepare for school while having fun.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun for young kids — and it really works!