20minutes cooking time
â¢ 125 g butter or margarine
â¢ 150 g caster sugar
â¢ 1/2 tsp lemon zest
â¢ 2 eggs
â¢ 150 g plain flour
â¢ 1/4 tsp baking powder
Cream Cheese Icing
â¢ 110 g cream cheese, at room temperature
â¢ 110 g butter, at room temperature
â¢ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
â¢ 85 g icing sugar
â¢ Edible food colouring
â¢ Edible jewels
â¢ Jelly beans in bright colours
â¢ Jelly tots
â¢ Jelly diamonds
â¢ Smarties or M&Ms in bright colours
â¢ Sugar diamonds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 12-holed muffin tin with 10 paper cases.
2. Cream the butter or margarine in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, then mix in the lemon zest. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add 1 tablespoon of the flour with the second egg, beating continuously. Sift over the flour and baking powder then fold in gently. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch.
3. Remove from the oven and cool in the muffin tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Whilst the cupcakes are baking you can prepare the icing. Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Beat in the vanilla, then sift over the sugar and stir in until the sugar is combined. Beat for 1 minute until fluffy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside in the fridge. If you wish, you can divide the icing into two bowls and colour each with a few drops of the different food colourings.
5. Once the cakes are cold, swirl some of the icing on top of them and stick a selection of decorations into the icing. Leave to stand for around 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Cranberry and White Chocolate Cookies
Instead of giving baked cookies as a gift for Christmas, why not give the recipe for one of your favourite cookies and then layer all the ingredients in a glass jar and tie a ribbon around it. All of the ingredients for these cookies are in the jar apart from the butter and they are very quick and easy to make.
Almond Milk Porridge with Berries
The king of all breakfasts! A great start to the day...
A firm favourite, a great way to get kids to eat veggies
Stained Glass Window Biscuits
These novelty cookies are fun to make with children. They particularly enjoy crushing the sweets and using cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!
Be safe this Bonfire Night
Be safe this Bonfire Night by making sure that you, pets and your family know and follow the very important Fireworks Code. Have fun if you are going to an event or having friends and family round at home. It includes safety rules for sparklers too! You will also be able to download our Fireworks Code poster to display if you are hosting an event.