12minutes cooking time
- 185g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g butter (room temperature)
- 85g soft light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Assorted Decorations eg Mini Smarties, M&M’s Currants or raisins
- Writing Icing or white and pink icing made with Royal Icing mixed with water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Fan 160C.
- Line or grease two large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sugar into the mixture, then add the egg yolk and golden syrup and mix everything together using a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough until it is smooth. Cut the dough in half.
- Sprinkle the work surface with a little more flour and roll out the dough starting at the centre of the dough and rolling evenly outwards.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Cut into shapes using cookie cutters Re-roll the trimmings until all the dough is used up.
- Place on the lined or greased baking sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- You can add currants for eyes before the cookies are baked if you like.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, you can decorate.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Cheesy Cottage Pie
Another delicious recipe from Annabel Karmel, perfect for the whole family!
Let your party girls create their own jewelled cupcakes, topped with a swirl of icing and a variety of ‘gems’. You could use ready-made buttercream instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, if you prefer.
Chicken Caesar Salad
A tasty recipe to make lunch boxes more interesting for your little ones! The croutons and dressing for this salad can be made the night before. All you need to do in the morning is mix up the ingredients and toss with the dressing. You can even use ready made croutons.
Beefy Sausage Roll
Sausage rolls make great picnic and party finger foods as they are ready-wrapped in pastry. To add a slight twist I like to use beef, but minced pork would also be good.
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here
Become a member today!
Becoming a member of Raring2go! is quick and simple, and even better - it is FREE! For a couple of minutes of your time signing up you will be rewarded with a national and local newsletter monthly, as well as being eligible to take advantage of our members only discounts and competitions! What more do you need? Sign up today!