12minutes cooking time
- 185g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g butter (room temperature)
- 85g soft light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Assorted Decorations eg Mini Smarties, M&M’s Currants or raisins
- Writing Icing or white and pink icing made with Royal Icing mixed with water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Fan 160C.
- Line or grease two large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sugar into the mixture, then add the egg yolk and golden syrup and mix everything together using a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough until it is smooth. Cut the dough in half.
- Sprinkle the work surface with a little more flour and roll out the dough starting at the centre of the dough and rolling evenly outwards.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Cut into shapes using cookie cutters Re-roll the trimmings until all the dough is used up.
- Place on the lined or greased baking sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- You can add currants for eyes before the cookies are baked if you like.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, you can decorate.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Cod with Salsa
Step into Spring with this lovely fresh tasting recipe
Almond Milk Porridge with Berries
The king of all breakfasts! A great start to the day...
Chicken with Summer Vegetables Recipe
Annabel's Classic Chicken with Summer Vegetables...
This delicious granola is very versatile. You can have it for breakfast with milk. This Christmas recipe is also very good on its own as a snack or layered with yoghurt, honey and fruit.
Become a member today!
Becoming a member of Raring2go! is quick and simple, and even better - it is FREE! For a couple of minutes of your time signing up you will be rewarded with a national and local newsletter monthly, as well as being eligible to take advantage of our members only discounts and competitions! What more do you need? Sign up today!
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!